Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transfer, writing sample?  (Read 844 times)

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
transfer, writing sample?
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

In a transfer application process, has anyone ever tried to submit a writing sample? (ie a law school essay written for a particular class, for example, constitutional law). It's the type of writing sample that you submit to a potential employer? I would like to know because I want to enhance my application and show the admin committee my writing ability and my ability to analyze a legal issue. Thanks. I look forward to your responses.

RD

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: transfer, writing sample?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
Sounds like a waste of time and perhaps an easy way to an automatic rejection.  Do you really think your ability to analyze legal issues, with only one year of law school under your belt, is going to impress anyone that reads your application?  If you are talking about something that was published, put that on your resume/cv and they will look it up if they are interested.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: transfer, writing sample?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:43:29 AM »
Sounds like a waste of time and perhaps an easy way to an automatic rejection.  Do you really think your ability to analyze legal issues, with only one year of law school under your belt, is going to impress anyone that reads your application?  If you are talking about something that was published, put that on your resume/cv and they will look it up if they are interested.

I agree.

I also think it shows an inability to follow directions, which cannot help.  Submit what they ask for.  If a school asks for a writing sample (which I doubt they will) submit one.  Otherwise hang on to it.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol