Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FLUNKING OUT OF LAW SCHOOL  (Read 7572 times)

ser-abogado

• View Profile
FLUNKING OUT OF LAW SCHOOL
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »
UPON FLUNKING OUT OF LAW SCHOOL...HOW DO I GET BACK IN? Should I consider applying to a new school? Or is that not recommended because the new school has some way of knowing that I flunked out? Should I try and develop a relationship of understanding with my current school and let them see how much I have improved and see if they'll readmit me? Should I sit out? How many years?

Honestly, I don't want to sit out. I would rather keep going! I have finally gotten the picture. I know how to excel in law school.

cooleylawstudent

Re: FLUNKING OUT OF LAW SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »
did you ever get back in?

UPON FLUNKING OUT OF LAW SCHOOL...HOW DO I GET BACK IN? Should I consider applying to a new school? Or is that not recommended because the new school has some way of knowing that I flunked out? Should I try and develop a relationship of understanding with my current school and let them see how much I have improved and see if they'll readmit me? Should I sit out? How many years?

Honestly, I don't want to sit out. I would rather keep going! I have finally gotten the picture. I know how to excel in law school.

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:41 PM »

Assuming that going back really is the best path for you... look up the school's specific rules regarding how to re-enter.  There may be different steps you need to take, depending on how bad your GPA was, and depending on exactly what you mean when you say 'flunk out'.  Like, were you forcibly kicked out?  Anyway, that stuff is all school-specific, so just check the rules and confirm your plan with the school administration.

As far as applying to a new school, I would assume that all schools are going to know about your past poor performance.
USD 2L

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
I believe that after a few years the ABA lets you "start over"

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:55:27 AM »
If you already got kicked out of your school, there is usually no way to develop 'understanding relationships' or whatever so that they would just keep you in. Most if not all schools require you to improve your GPA so that its over 2.0 by the next term (otherwise, you are out for good).

If you did not get kicked out yet, but you are pretty sure you failed your final exam, withdraw ASAP. Do not wait for a miracle to happen. It won't. Reapply to schools that have lower attrition rate/cheaper tuition. Once you have the 'academically disqualified' on your record, no ABA school will accept you.

Either way, you need to find out why you failed your exams, so that you can do better next time. This takes more effort than merely 'thinking you got it'. At least now you know trying to naively cooperate with the school will very likely get you screwed.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
I'd still apply to the free ones(what're you out if free to apply?) worst case scenario use an online CBE school. If you did a full year at an ABA school within five years you are still EXEMPT from the first year minibar that stumps most people. If you wait longer than that you'd have it take that too, and that would make it a lot harder.