Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberty Law School  (Read 13560 times)

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Liberty Law School
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »
well, there is certainly more to life than rat race, but just I hope for your sake that after you graduate from Cal West you guys will have money leftover every month for food after paying Aunt Sallie....

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »
Aunt Sallie or Mr. Access are going to put a damper on your day no matter what school you go to. Harvard or Cooley law school is EXPENSIVE and not many people have 100,000 lying around. My friends at Hastings are having a real hard time with Aunt Sallie considering they did not pass the bar and the loan company doesn't care that Hastings was ranked 38th.

Law school is a HUGE financial risk, but in general if you pass the bar you can make a living. Honestly, unless you go to an EXCEPTIONAL SCHOOL Harvard Yale and so on you are probably going to be in debt for awhile and not make that much money. Honestly there are a lot better ways to make money than law school. My friend is bartending in the city making 90k in all reality as a lawyer I may never make that much. If you are going to law school for MONEY DO NOT GO! You can make money doing lots of other things and not going 100k in debt and spending 3 years of your life making little to no money.

As a side conversation I don't understand why any Grad School and college is so expensive. I really think that instead of the government fighting for free health care they should give everybody access to free education so everybody can have a skill and afford health care. That is just by own opinion though.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 12:18:29 AM »
1200 monthly loan damper is one thing when you are making 1200 biweekly and totally another when you are making 4000 biweekly.

Grad schools grants are actually being cut because grad school is not considered essential education - you were supposed to get your skills yo in UG as far as government concerned.  When you go to UG they see it like you are aspirring to be middle class and they like it, thus all the subsidies and loans. If you going to grad schools they see it like you want to invest into making more money (be rich) and they are not going to pay you for you to make more money, you gotta do it yourself.  Especially there is not going to be any subsidies for law school students...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
People that have been around a little longer than others gain perspective, which it sounds like you have, and realize that there's more to life than bragging rights, making $250k/year, and countless hours in the grind.  If achieved, exactly which one of those goals will endear you to others?  Secure happiness?  Last?  None.

As they say, "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."

Of course, if you're young and without perspective, then rankings, anecdotes, and peer-pressure are all you've got to go by.  No fault therein, just simply a reality of life.  All I can do is smile and nod my head when people like "Ninja" graciously extricate themselves from their Sony Playstations to give advice regarding major life decisions.  Perspective, indeed.

Here's the problem: If you are getting into the legal profession, there are few real alternatives to the rat race. Think struggling solo practitioners are working 35 hours a week on the beach?

Also, personal attacks are uncalled for. Continued personal insults will get you a time-out ban.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 03:50:30 AM »

All I can do is smile and nod my head when people like "Ninja" graciously extricate themselves from their Sony Playstations to give advice regarding major life decisions.  Perspective, indeed.

Well aren't you just the wise old man of the river? How's life at your televangelist funded fraud of a law school?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
Next personal insult gets this thread locked.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ipsa

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
On Saturday, Liberty Law won the regional ABA National Appellate Advocacy tournament, beating the likes of Wake Forest, Mississippi, George Mason, Charleston, Virginia, Colorado, and the #1 seed, Georgetown.

Moreover, Liberty Law claimed the 1st, 2nd, and 4th place awards for outstanding oralist.

Ninja1, I apologize for my previous comment.  Nealric, I agree, personal attacks are uncalled for.

I will let Liberty's performance as above speak for itself.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »
Ipsa, I think as DR. LSAT would have put it you are making an unspoken assumption  that performance in an Advocacy Competition is indicative of the quality of the law school education.  It might, but more than likely it is simply a personal achievement only laterally related to the quality of legal education.  You won over Harvard, Yale and Stanford?  Good for you!!!! Now if only anybody cared....  In a few year you will learn that how smart, hard-working or capable you are matters very little in a legal world where pedigree is almost everything.   

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
StonewallJacksonFan you seem to know everything about pedigrees etc are you even in law school and if you are has your pedigreed school gotten you an internship or anything? Or do you just keep telling yourself how much pedigree matters to make yourself feel better about yourself?  Pedigree means something if you went to Harvard or Yale, but even then you have to prove yourself those Liberty Grads that just beat Harvard's. When you become an attorney it matters if you win not what school you go to. Performance is everything not pedigree.

Pedigree will open doors and make it easier for you to prove yourself of the bat and certainly a Harvard grad will have more of an opportunity to prove themselves sooner than a Liberty one and in most cases the odds are the Harvard Grad will be smarter 9 out of 10 times. However, just because you went to Harvard, Berkley, etc does not make you a good attorney these Liberty Grads just proved they were better. The judge at the competition didn't care about what school they went to he cared about the performance and that is the real world. I a Harvard grad has 2 of 100 cases nobody is going to hire him his pedigree, becomes irrelevant. If a Liberty Grad has never lost a case his lack of attending a pedigreed school is irrelevant.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »
Big,  no I did not get into a super law school yet - I was only able to get into T30 only with a 25% schollie, which is why I am seriously debating whether going to law school is worth it at all for me this year.  I still have a shot at T10 and working on that...  No matter how many cases you win - and workign for any self respecting law firm you will not be allowed in court room for the first 5-10 years with the firm - you will always be a T6, T10, T14, TT, TTT, TTTT or TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT for a wide range of opportunities, including academia, prestigious judgeships and federal jobs.

If you strive to be a lawyer, knock yourself out and go to your TTTTTTTTTT, I am sure you will learn a lot and maybe even be an awesome lawyer.  However, similar to how it worked in middle ages, where no matter how able a peasant or a merchant were they would never be nobility, you will have a glass ceiling to many exciting opportunities.