Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberty Law School  (Read 13725 times)

NYCFed

• View Profile
Re: Liberty Law School
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
Not having all the above information, the reader of Matlock's post is left with the bare and distinct insinuation that Liberty is subpar. QED.

If one defines being fully accredited as the accepted standard, then LU is subpar, which is defined as being of less than a traditional or accepted standard.

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
Neal,

It makes him ignorant because of his insinuation that "Liberty sucks, look at them, they're still dealing with accreditation, bahahaha!" What that statement ignorantly fails to take into account is that LU School of Law has not yet had the opportunity to even APPLY for full accreditation, through the sheer minimum amount of time that it takes to so apply. As I stated, based on when LU attained provisional accreditation (which, AGAIN, was the FASTEST in ABA history), the absolute soonest that LU could attain full accreditation is in April 2010. And as I previously stated, we are on track to complete that milestone in the minimum amount of time, continuing to set records and impress site teams as we go.

Not having all the above information, the reader of Matlock's post is left with the bare and distinct insinuation that Liberty is subpar. QED.

Trust me sweet-cheeks, I'll give you your PROVISIONAL ACCREDITATION.  I don't really f-ing care.  There are SO many things screwed up about that institution, I could go on for days.... your accreditation is the least of those.  The ABA can't seem to open up *&^%-holes fast enough these days.  Hell, let's talk about OVER 27% FIRST YEAR ATTRITION!!!!!!  WHAT A f-ing GOD SEND IT MUST BE TO HAVE AN ADMINISTRATION THAT WILL STEAL $25-30,000 TUITION, TO THEN GO AND FLUNK OUT A THIRD OF THE RETARDED CLASS!!!  PRAISE BE TO JESUS!!!!!!

WHAT I DO CARE ABOUT, is kids going to law school, graduating with over $100,000 in debt, and then having *&^% for employment prospects upon graduation!!  What would Jesus do sweety???? Bankruptcy isn't going to be there to bail them out.  Will you?

Peace and Love.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »
Here is yet ANOTHER reason to stay away from the POO HOLE KNOWN AS LIBERTY (And the rest of these cesspools should be done away with as well):

From Paul L. Caron, Tax Prof Blog

LawSchoolNumbers.com ranks the 195 law schools by 1L attrition rates.  (The ABA Section on Legal Education publishes aggregate attrition rates, and each school's attrition rate is available on its official ABA data sheet.)  Here are the 25 law schools with the highest attrition rates according to LawSchoolNumbers.com, along with the school's 2009 U.S. News overall ranking:

1. Whittier (51.5% 1L attrition, #161 in U.S. News)
   2. Touro (37.4%, #171)
   3. Golden Gate (36.9%, #174)
   4. Western State (32.6%, not ranked)
   5. Jones School of Law (32.3%, not ranked)
   6. Widener (30.5%, #179)
   7. St. Thomas University (28.5%, #174)
   8. Barry (27.6%, #181)
   9. Liberty (27.1%, not ranked)
  10. Thomas M Cooley (26.0%, #181)
  11. Florida Coastal (23.7%, #171)
  12. California Western (23.6%, #156)
  13. Valparaiso (23.4%, #143)
  14. Florida International (23.3%, #153)
  15. Capital (22.8%, #161)
  16. Louisville (22.5%, #100)
  17. North Carolina Central (22.1%, #168)
  18. Detroit Mercy (21.9%, $163)
  19. Nova Southeastern (21.8%, #158)
  20. Oklahoma City (21.0%, $168)
  21. Willamette (21.0%, #137)
  22. Western New England (20.7%, #171)
  23. Northern Kentucky (20.2%, #156)
  24. University of The District of Columbia (20.0%, #181)
  25. Franklin Pierce (19.9%, #131)
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

Ipsa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »
LU School of Law is not for everyone.  This should be plainly obvious to anyone who visits their website.  It wears on its sleeve a proud and authentic dedication to teaching law according to the traditional Judeo-Christian values on which this country was founded.  If you have no inkling of what that means, or a knee-jerk reaction to what that instruction may contain, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

For a growing slice of students, however, Liberty's focus on traditional values is like a breath of fresh air.  The curriculum is very much focused on interpreting the law in light of the Founding Father's original intent.  There is a healthy skepticism for progressive causes and tactics, especially as it relates to judicial activism and relativism.  And, without a doubt, it is first and foremost a Christian university.  If that rubs you the wrong way then, again, look elsewhere.  If you want to be a ACLU lawyer, this ain't your gig.  But, most importantly, Liberty's focus alone does not make it an inferior school.  That is a tremendously naive position.  Consider:

Faculty, staff, and students are all very dedicated folks.  They WANT to be there, despite the knowledge that they will be ridiculed unfairly, ruthlessly, and without basis (e.g. read the rest of this thread).  This shared desire not only foments an esprit de corps you'd be hard to find at other schools but, most importantly, it attracts professors who are over-qualified for their positions---because they want to come to Liberty specifically.  There are several fed appellate judges on staff, numerous highly qualified attorneys, and, most recently, Ken Blackwell.  [That crash you just heard was yet another over-used stereotype about Liberty shattering.]  Moreover, in terms of post-graduation prospects, LU grads are indeed at a disadvantage relative to T1/T2 schools....unless the employer is Christian.  Yet another way faith pays.  But you have to know the secret handshake.

The facilities are brand-new and top-notch.  The campus includes a scale reproduction of the US Supreme courtroom.  There are two complete trial courtrooms, as well as two interview rooms.  Every classroom is state-of-the-art, no-expense-spared.  I challenge anyone to find a more technologically advanced law school in America today.

The curriculum includes six semesters of Lawyering Skills.  I challenge anyone to show me a law school in America with a similar, much less equivalent, focus on practical lawyering skills.  While a degree from Yale may look great hanging on the wall, I'll bet the average LU grad knows more about the real legal world than 95% of Yale's graduates.  This is borne out by Liberty's performance in the National Negotiation Tournament.  In 2008, Liberty qualified two teams in the National Negotiation Tournament---the first law school to do this in the HISTORY OF THE TOURNAMENT.  In 2009, Liberty Law put two more teams in the finals.  That type of performance simply isn't consistent with the allegations of mediocrity found elsewhere in this thread. 

I left my job as an senior manager at a global manufacturing corporation to attend law school at Liberty.  For those of you content to squabble over arbitrary law school statistics like a couple of pissed-off bookies after game day, I encourage you to gain a little perspective, a modicum of humility, and a healthy dose of maturity.  Attrition rates or no, ideology or no, Liberty Law is graduating some very fine lawyers.  When you meet one in the courtroom, I assure you their anxiety over attrition rates or their spiritual leanings will be the least of your worries. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
LU School of Law is not for everyone.  This should be plainly obvious to anyone who visits their website.  It wears on its sleeve a proud and authentic dedication to teaching law according to the traditional Judeo-Christian values on which this country was founded.  If you have no inkling of what that means, or a knee-jerk reaction to what that instruction may contain, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

For a growing slice of students, however, Liberty's focus on traditional values is like a breath of fresh air.  The curriculum is very much focused on interpreting the law in light of the Founding Father's original intent.  There is a healthy skepticism for progressive causes and tactics, especially as it relates to judicial activism and relativism.  And, without a doubt, it is first and foremost a Christian university.  If that rubs you the wrong way then, again, look elsewhere.  If you want to be a ACLU lawyer, this ain't your gig.  But, most importantly, Liberty's focus alone does not make it an inferior school.  That is a tremendously naive position.  Consider:

Faculty, staff, and students are all very dedicated folks.  They WANT to be there, despite the knowledge that they will be ridiculed unfairly, ruthlessly, and without basis (e.g. read the rest of this thread).  This shared desire not only foments an esprit de corps you'd be hard to find at other schools but, most importantly, it attracts professors who are over-qualified for their positions---because they want to come to Liberty specifically.  There are several fed appellate judges on staff, numerous highly qualified attorneys, and, most recently, Ken Blackwell.  [That crash you just heard was yet another over-used stereotype about Liberty shattering.]  Moreover, in terms of post-graduation prospects, LU grads are indeed at a disadvantage relative to T1/T2 schools....unless the employer is Christian.  Yet another way faith pays.  But you have to know the secret handshake.

The facilities are brand-new and top-notch.  The campus includes a scale reproduction of the US Supreme courtroom.  There are two complete trial courtrooms, as well as two interview rooms.  Every classroom is state-of-the-art, no-expense-spared.  I challenge anyone to find a more technologically advanced law school in America today.

The curriculum includes six semesters of Lawyering Skills.  I challenge anyone to show me a law school in America with a similar, much less equivalent, focus on practical lawyering skills.  While a degree from Yale may look great hanging on the wall, I'll bet the average LU grad knows more about the real legal world than 95% of Yale's graduates.  This is borne out by Liberty's performance in the National Negotiation Tournament.  In 2008, Liberty qualified two teams in the National Negotiation Tournament---the first law school to do this in the HISTORY OF THE TOURNAMENT.  In 2009, Liberty Law put two more teams in the finals.  That type of performance simply isn't consistent with the allegations of mediocrity found elsewhere in this thread. 

I left my job as an senior manager at a global manufacturing corporation to attend law school at Liberty.  For those of you content to squabble over arbitrary law school statistics like a couple of pissed-off bookies after game day, I encourage you to gain a little perspective, a modicum of humility, and a healthy dose of maturity.  Attrition rates or no, ideology or no, Liberty Law is graduating some very fine lawyers.  When you meet one in the courtroom, I assure you their anxiety over attrition rates or their spiritual leanings will be the least of your worries. 

I lolled.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
I guess with tens of millions of dollars in donations and scores of religious attorney professors all things are possible.
Watch out guys, with all the money they are pouring into this gig in ten to twenty years they might actually be T2.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 12:56:55 AM »
Why does everyone talk trash about law schools that they know absolutely nothing about. It is really baffling everytime I see it, and where is this guy getting 27% attrition from LSAC said 18%, but there were only 5 academic fail outs 8 (other) category, which could be transfer or just not liking school altogether.

I know nothing about Liberty, but I am sure if the OP goes there he will learn the law. If it is a really religious school as some people implied then the OP should be aware of that. However, for people to go on rants about how bad a school is on here is ridiculous, especially when they have no direct ties to it.

46 pages of rules OH MY GOD. Go to any University handbook at any undergrad, I bet you it is 46 or more pages.  Stop talking about things you don't know about and scaring people away from schools. If you actually go to Liberty  then by all means speak up and if you had a problem with it then say something. The one guy that actually went there had positive things to say about it. The ABA is the ABA and whatever school you go you will learn the same things. First year curriculum of any ABA school is the same exact f'ing thing! Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure, Property, and Legal Writing. Whether you go to Harvard, Liberty, Cooley, Florida State, Hastings, any freaking one of them it will be the same law.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
That is true objectively,but tell that to the biglaw recruiters, they will appreciate the laugh they get out of this. Oh I forgot, you are not interested in biglaw, you looking to make 45k a year the rest of your life.  No problem.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »
Yea I probably will be man. I already worked as a paralegal for a BIG LAW firm O'Melveny & Myers and I despised it and most of the people there. Not everybody goes to Big Law and odds are you probably won't even if you go to f'ing Harvard. It is rare man most people don't get to do big law, most lawyers in fact don't make that much money even if they go to solid law schools.  Two of my friends went to Hastings neither of them passed the bar they are not to impressed that their school is ranked 38th and a Cooley Grad who passed the bar has a better shot at BigLaw than they do. 

Good luck on your Big Law Career if you even get an interview. Big Law is kind of on the way out anyways, but go for it man if you want Big Law knock yourself out. Money is not everything I like the law and before law school I liked basketball I played pro basketball in China I wasn't good enough to make it to the NBA, it is pretty damn hard to that. However, I still did something I loved for a living after that was over I worked at OMM, but I was not smart enough to get into Harvard, but I still enjoy the law and want to be a lawyer therefore I went to law school a tier 4 no less and going to law school will allow me to be a lawyer.  I will probably never work in Big Law or sit on the U.S Supreme Court. Honestly, if Big Law is what you want go for it man, but you don't have to do Big Law. I know I never want to be around it again. 

Ipsa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
Bigs,

I like your attitude.

People that have been around a little longer than others gain perspective, which it sounds like you have, and realize that there's more to life than bragging rights, making $250k/year, and countless hours in the grind.  If achieved, exactly which one of those goals will endear you to others?  Secure happiness?  Last?  None.

As they say, "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."

Of course, if you're young and without perspective, then rankings, anecdotes, and peer-pressure are all you've got to go by.  No fault therein, just simply a reality of life.  All I can do is smile and nod my head when people like "Ninja" graciously extricate themselves from their Sony Playstations to give advice regarding major life decisions.  Perspective, indeed.