Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberty Law School  (Read 13047 times)

smuuthcriminal

• Wisdom, Moderation, and Justice.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Liberty Law School
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:49:32 PM »
I am considering Liberty Law School.  My interest lies in criminal law and a later-in-life judgeship.  Does anyone know the employment projections at this school?  Also, I'm interested in hearing about any experiences related to Liberty Law School.
- smuuthcriminal 

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
Re: Liberty Law School
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
Well, here you go.  It's one of the worst law schools in the country.  After 5 years, it's still dealing with provisional ABA accreditation and to add to that, a 27.1% first year attrition.  Unless you have a job already lined up that's waiting for your JD from Liberty.... RUN AWAY!

That's harsh, but schools like that are a black mark on us all.  ITE, you'll need more than "prayers" to find employment.  Don't expect it from there.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:36:53 AM »
From what I gather (and based on a PDF of their student handbook which floated around here a while back), they enforce a very strict set of rules on students. Even moderate drinking (as in a glass of wine with dinner) can get you in serious trouble. I would avoid unless your social and political persuasions dovetail very closely with those of the administration.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

LULAW1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:24:47 AM »
The second and third posters have it completely wrong.  The honor code applies to the undergraduate students only.  Many students drink and never get into "trouble."

The law school is not one of the worst in the country.  This past summer, Liberty's bar passage rate was second only to UVA.  So far, two classes have taken the bar.  The VA AND the national average are around 90%. 

Liberty was provisionally accredited on their first chance after only a year-and-a half of operating.  The chance for full accreditation HAS NOT YET ARISEN, but will come w/n the next year.  The accreditation committee is being led by the dean from Baylor School of Law.

The attrition rate for Liberty is about what you would expect to find at a T3 or T4 school.  Most of the people in my class who left either transferred or decided law school was not for them. 

Lastly, many people from the first two classes are gainfully employed.  Many people from my class already have offers or jobs DESPITE the terrible economy.

As a future note, if you do not know what you are talking about, you should keep your mouth shut.   

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
My, what a stunning come back.  27% attrition is the norm for tier 3 and 4????  REALLY?????  If you are representative of the "fact checkers" at Libety, this is yet another reason to avoid this "thing" like the plague.

Oh, and here's a great tidbit, Liberty just banned the Democrat club:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2009/05/22/liberty-university-bans-dem-club.aspx

Wow!  Next thing you know they'll be teaching you to march goose-step style.

Hey, if Pat Robertson's your idol, by all means, knock yourself out and go have fun. (if that's possible)

Well shut my mouth!!!
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
I wish they would quit mailing me crap!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
Avoid.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »

As a future note, if you do not know what you are talking about, you should keep your mouth shut.

would jesus be hsppy this comment?

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »

Lastly, many people from the first two classes are gainfully employed. 

This says everything you need to know about Liberty. Many, not most or all, people from the first two classes are gainfully employed but no mention of whether they have legal jobs.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
I would avoid unless your social and political persuasions dovetail very closely with those of the administration.

I think unless the above then there are other law schools that have similar admissions requirements and employment prospects that do not come with the stigma that a Liberty degree does. Honestly, a lot of regular folks, people who are not anti-religous, are really freaked about by Liberty and Pat Robertson. Make sure that's an association that want people to make about you for the rest of your career. Only you know whether you're comfortble with that.