Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there any point in waiting to buy your laptop?  (Read 1046 times)

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is there any point in waiting to buy your laptop?
« on: June 19, 2004, 04:32:02 PM »
I was wondering if there was any reason we Pre-1Ls should wait to buy a laptop. Say you want it two weeks before law school starts, which means that you need to order it about a month in advance of LS (10 days prep, 7 delivery, +2 weeks early). Which means from today we have about a month and a half to wait. Would it be beneficial to hold out until the last minute in hope of the technological trickle down effect? Or is a month and half too soon to expect any significant price and or hardware/software changes?

habeas_dorkus

• View Profile
Re: Is there any point in waiting to buy your laptop?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 06:43:05 PM »
i bought mine a week ago because i figured the deals weren't going to get any better. at least not better enough to justify the wait. plus, i wanted plenty of time to make sure it works and take care of any potential problems.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 09:02:07 PM »
That depends on how you are planning on financing the purchase.  Many schools offer a budget appeal for a laptop purchase.  If you are going to purchase it through that loan program, the school often sets a date before which you cannot buy your laptop.  If you are paying out of your own pocket, then there is probably no reason to wait, unless you want to see if there are updated models coming out within the next couple of months.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 09:09:25 PM »
the deals right now blow. the companies REALLY sweeten the pot around the time school starts... Dell/HP/Compaq/Gateway have been really competitive the past few back to school shopping seasons

im waiting, myself.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 02:56:11 AM »
i would say wait as well.

there are so many PC makers, and the trend of pricing deflation continues.....:D

shortbus

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 01:11:07 PM »
Get your laptop on ebay. That's the best deal, hands down. Nothing you will do as a law school student -- write papers, take notes, research on the web -- requires the latest & greatest Pentium shizzle. These are high-volume sellers, not individuals, you can get pretty much any configuration and a lot of them will even add memory etc if you want it. I got a Dell Latitude C400, probably about 16months old, 4lb laptop, for $550 last week.

jgomez

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 01:15:28 PM »
you're right on the money.  there's no point in waiting.  It doesn't matter because whenever you buy it, either now or 1 month from now, 2 weeks later, the price will drop.  That's how the industry is, and there's no way to predict.  You know that eventually the prices will decrease in time, but in time, the cheaper ones will leave the store shelves first or the manufactuer won't make them anymore.  You will only be left with refurbished or high end laptops, or newer high-demanded price inflated low-end laptops. 

I was a consultant for Toshiba Information Systems Laptop Division down in Irvine, CA for 2 years, and coming from experience, it REALLY doesn't matter.  Just get the best price for out on the market.

I was wondering if there was any reason we Pre-1Ls should wait to buy a laptop. Say you want it two weeks before law school starts, which means that you need to order it about a month in advance of LS (10 days prep, 7 delivery, +2 weeks early). Which means from today we have about a month and a half to wait. Would it be beneficial to hold out until the last minute in hope of the technological trickle down effect? Or is a month and half too soon to expect any significant price and or hardware/software changes?

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »
Jenna, I must say I am a big fan of your work. I implore you to reconsider this whole law school business and stick with the art you have cultivated over the years, entertaining millions of adolescent youth around this nation and, with the help of the internet, the world.

Get your laptop on ebay. That's the best deal, hands down. Nothing you will do as a law school student -- write papers, take notes, research on the web -- requires the latest & greatest Pentium shizzle. These are high-volume sellers, not individuals, you can get pretty much any configuration and a lot of them will even add memory etc if you want it. I got a Dell Latitude C400, probably about 16months old, 4lb laptop, for $550 last week.

shortbus

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 04:36:19 PM »
well, now that I've hit the big 2-3 I need to start thinking about longer-term career prospects.

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »
Speaking to the original question:

I've noticed that the laptop our ls requires has steadily decreased in price so far this summer.  Since Dell hasn't put anything out that is substantially better than last year's model, the ls is requiring the same one.  At the beginning of the summer, the price was $1,800+.  It's now at $1,600.  I'm waiting a bit longer!
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie