Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Law school for me?  (Read 2127 times)

aidanabet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Is Law school for me?
« on: June 20, 2002, 06:07:01 AM »
I am trying to decide if I want to go to law school to become lawyer.  I have always had the idea that I would enjoy being a lawyer, so I have thought about becoming years now.  Currently, I work in the IT department of a financial company.  I can't see myself doing this after graduation from undergrad next year and am again pondering going to law school.
My question is how do you know if you want to be a lawyer?  If you are a lawyer what do you really do with your time?  What helped you come to a conclusion about decided to go to law school?
Please reply if you think you have something useful to say.  I welcome any informtion you have!  Thanks for reading.  

Sunshine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Law school for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2002, 05:29:20 AM »
i'm having the same problem right now. i mean, for the longest time, i have really wanted to be a lawyer, but i can't decide whether or not that's really what i want to do. i have the same questions you do, but i'm thinking that there was a reason why i have wanted to be a lawyer, so i might as well stick with it. i've stuck with it this long. ;)

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV.
There are a number of highly regarded books that purport to give an inside, realistic look at what being a lawyer is really like.

Take a look at some of those.

I got Black's Law
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684863065/qid=1078342574//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/103-8650778-0022208?v=glance&n=507846

and Letters to a Young Lawyer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465016316/qid=1078342629/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-8650778-0022208

I've also been talking to an old friend of mine who went to Harvard and has been practicing for 25 years.  That conversation helped a lot.  I suspect you may not be old enough to have friends like that, but I will bet you can find a lawyer who wouldn't mind sharing their impressions of lawyering.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 06:54:12 PM »
What show/movie did you play a "lawyer" on?
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

bobfett33

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 02:39:50 PM »
Ivy_Hopeful, I can only hope that you were joking - because HE was joking about "playing one on tv."  It's just one of those quotes that you might hear some guy saying: "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on tv..."

Anyway, the OP asked what do you do with a law degree?

Well, that's a good question - you don't have to be a "lawyer" with a JD.

In fact, a JD is a well-respected degree (the ABA insists that the JD is just as much of a "doctorate" as is a Ph.D, hence lawyers have just as much right to be called "Doctor..." I don't know about that, but...) that provides many avenues of work.  Corporations, the government, non-profit groups all need people with JDs in various capacities. 

You may want to think about doing some sort of a joint JD/MA program, where you get your law degree and a masters in something (accounting, history, political science, whatever).

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 02:58:39 PM »
If I had the decisions of the past 10 years to do over again I would have done the two extra years back then and done a joint MBA/JD program.  I would be light years ahead now.

But that said, I have had some interesting experiences that I might have missed.

Talk to lawyers and law students and try it on in your mind before you buy.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 03:28:46 PM »
What show/movie did you play a "lawyer" on?

My Fantasy     ;)

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 03:31:26 PM »
Ivy_Hopeful, I can only hope that you were joking - because HE was joking about "playing one on tv."  It's just one of those quotes that you might hear some guy saying: "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on tv..."

Anyway, the OP asked what do you do with a law degree?

Well, that's a good question - you don't have to be a "lawyer" with a JD.

In fact, a JD is a well-respected degree (the ABA insists that the JD is just as much of a "doctorate" as is a Ph.D, hence lawyers have just as much right to be called "Doctor..." I don't know about that, but...) that provides many avenues of work.  Corporations, the government, non-profit groups all need people with JDs in various capacities. 

You forgot to mention the number one reason people have for going to law school, aside from practicing law.   To become a best-selling novelist!   ::)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 01:28:36 AM »
I was joking
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM