Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice on applicaton process 39 year old single mom  (Read 1006 times)

baca_shadow

• View Profile
    • Email
Need advice on applicaton process 39 year old single mom
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
I am finally finishing up my Undergrad and will graduate next month. I chose Devry University and attended the majority of my classes on campus and took a couple of online courses. Most of my core classes were taken at the community college and my GPA is a 3.92. It has taken me many years to complete school and I put the thought of law school behind me because I didn't see how I could attend classes, study and raise two kids. I never thought I would finish my undergrad and now all of the sudden it is over and my kids are almost grown, leaving me with the ability to actually consider applying to LS.

So my question is what do I do now? I am considering studying on my own and then taking a weekend prep course right before the October testing. Is there any advantage to my age and being female? I am assuming that the "diversity" that schools are looking for are minority groups that are non-Caucasian.

Do I apply to the schools that I am interested in prior to taking the LSAT or after I have taken it?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on applicaton process 39 year old single mom
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »
Hi.  Congratulations on getting through school as a single mother.  That is a very admirable accomplishment. 

You apply to schools AFTER taking the LSAT.  Your first step will be to register with the LSAC (Law School Admission Council).  http://www.lsac.org/ There, you can get a lot of information about law school and the LSAT, including a copy of an actual past LSAT with grading key.

You can take a weekend prep course for the LSAT, however I would suggest first checking out the LSAT board on this site and doing a little self-study.  You will get a better idea about where you are and where you need to go that way. 

Again, congratulations.  I have two small children and I just finished my first year of law school.  It is a lot of work, but so rewarding.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.