Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best laptop to get for law school?  (Read 4953 times)

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best laptop to get for law school?
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:49:57 AM »
Mac or PC?

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: Best laptop to get for law school?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
Commodore 64
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »
Commodore 64
Get the Osborne 1 if you want portability, at just under 25 pounds and with an awesome 4 MHz processor, it's a real steal at $1,795 ($4200 adjusted for inflation).

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »
you guys are real f-ing comedians :)

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 04:22:15 AM »
In all seriousness, if you buy an Apple, you could find yourself having to buy a copy of Windows as well, because despite all the smear ads, they have less than 10% market share.
As for as buying a computer with Windows, don't rush to buy one now.  As early as July there should be free Windows 7 upgrade programs for computers sold with Vista.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
In all seriousness, if you buy an Apple, you could find yourself having to buy a copy of Windows as well, because despite all the smear ads, they have less than 10% market share.
As for as buying a computer with Windows, don't rush to buy one now.  As early as July there should be free Windows 7 upgrade programs for computers sold with Vista.

Source?  Not challenging you, I'm actually very interested.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »
Be sure to check out www.maclawstudents.com

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »

I'd be sure that whatever exam software the school uses works with Macs if i were to contemplate using a Mac.

Then again, I'd never contemplate using a Mac.  If you don't know Windows now, do yourself a favor and learn it, because unless you start up your own private practice, the firm you work for probably won't support it.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:11:53 PM »

I'd be sure that whatever exam software the school uses works with Macs if i were to contemplate using a Mac.

Then again, I'd never contemplate using a Mac.  If you don't know Windows now, do yourself a favor and learn it, because unless you start up your own private practice, the firm you work for probably won't support it.

Yet, with snow leopard (due out next month?) and native exchange 2007 support, this may be a moot point.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?pgno=1&artno=609
Googling "Windows 7 Upgrade program" yields many results.
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?pgno=1&artno=609 is the most detailed I have seen.
Retailers would need to be on board by now, but I wouldn't expect any to run "Don't buy a computer from us yet" ads.
Even if the info isn't accurate waiting until at least July for "back to school" deals can't hurt.

Also, I have been using the Windows 7 beta and Release Candidate, and have been impressed with how well it runs on even low end hardware like my Eee PC 1000.