Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tips for law review write-on?  (Read 2569 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Tips for law review write-on?
« on: May 21, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
Anybody?
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for law review write-on?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
Anybody?

How about finishing?  :P

Seriously though, I'm also interested in this!

LULAW1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
Get tanked and just start writing! 

If you are serious, you should read someone else's Note to get the general idea and structure. 

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
1. Follow directions. If the directions say the note needs to be printed on a sheet of parchment made from the wool of a lamb that is exactly 435 days old, do not use wool from a lamb that is 434 or 436 days old. But seriously, this thing is all about following directions. Margins, font, number of copies, method and time of delivery, what sources you use, etc. are all worth a sizable chunk of the grading.

2. Start early. You need to do that so you can...

3. Edit more than you write. Along with following directions, having perfect spelling, great grammer, and correct citations are key. As a 2L you're going to spend more time with the Bluebook and Chicago Manual of Style (at least I did) than you would ever want to. That's the skill they're looking for.

4. Organize everything. A dull but well-organized note will beat a genius but completely disorganized note every time.

Bottom line: this is about form over function. Get the form right, and if the function (the substance) is passable, you should be in good shape.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »
My top suggestion for the write-on would be to not violate your school's non-collaboration policy by asking for tips for the write-on.

Will you get caught? Probably not. Are the tips you may get from an internet board worth even the .05% chance of you getting caught? Probably not.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
My top suggestion for the write-on would be to not violate your school's non-collaboration policy by asking for tips for the write-on.

Will you get caught? Probably not. Are the tips you may get from an internet board worth even the .05% chance of you getting caught? Probably not.

Asking for general tips before our write-on even begins is not an ethical violation.  It is not like I was asking for someone to write this for me or edit it once I begin. 

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
Apparently your non-collaboration policy is less stringent than the one at my school, then. Hell, if I read the Volokh book now I will be cheating, even though I read the Volokh long before the competition started. I think I am cheating if I even remember something that was in it:P

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »
Apparently your non-collaboration policy is less stringent than the one at my school, then. Hell, if I read the Volokh book now I will be cheating, even though I read the Volokh long before the competition started. I think I am cheating if I even remember something that was in it:P

Um...then why are you reading this thread?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »
Um...then why are you reading this thread?

Exactly. 

Also, Transfer, are you doing write-on right now?  I and many others aren't doing the competition yet.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
Ha, you've got me on that point.

I appologize- my initial response was meant to be funny, not accusatory. I was meaning to poke fun at how expansive the non-collabs can be- I don't think it is possible to not "officially" cheat unless you lock yourself in a secluded cell for the entire period.