Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I really be considering law school?  (Read 2685 times)

Crookiz

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I really be considering law school?
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
So I am considering law school but I was convicted of a drug posession 10 years ago, I wasn't selling just simply in posession of a the wrong substance. I did no time for this but served one year probation. Since then I have had to deal with a series of doors being closed in my face because I made a stupid mistake at a party.

From what I understand and according to my state's board of bar examiners the conviction does not prohibit me from practicing law but it may prevent it.

When I apply this fall would it be detrimental to bring this to prospective schools attention in my personal statement? All of that is behind me and I have been concentrating on doing good works in the world. Second, if anyone has any firsthand experience about how the bar generally deals these issues it would be appreciated.

gzl

• View Profile
Re: Convicted Felon, should I really be considering law school?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:11:22 AM »
So I am considering law school but I was convicted of a drug posession felony 10 years ago, I wasn't selling just simply in posession of a the wrong substance. I did no time for this but served one year probation. Since then I have had to deal with a series of doors being closed in my face because I made a stupid mistake at a party.

From what I understand and according to my state's board of bar examiners the felony conviction does not prohibit me from practicing law but it may prevent it.

When I apply this fall would it be detrimental to bring this to prospective schools attention in my personal statement? All of that is behind me and I have been concentrating on doing good works in the world. Second, if anyone has any firsthand experience about how the bar generally deals these issues it would be appreciated.

The length of time since the conviction is a good thing.  The conviction itself wasn't a breach of trust issue, which is in your favor (relatively speaking, of course)  You should definitely disclose it on any admissions app that asks, as not disclosing it could make the matter worse when the Bar reviews your moral character evaluation.  As far as addressing it in our personal statement, that's a judgment call.

People have done worse and gotten through.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »
So I am considering law school but I was convicted of a drug posession felony 10 years ago, I wasn't selling just simply in posession of a the wrong substance. I did no time for this but served one year probation. Since then I have had to deal with a series of doors being closed in my face because I made a stupid mistake at a party.

From what I understand and according to my state's board of bar examiners the felony conviction does not prohibit me from practicing law but it may prevent it.

The length of time since the conviction is a good thing.  The conviction itself wasn't a breach of trust issue, which is in your favor (relatively speaking, of course)  You should definitely disclose it on any admissions app that asks, as not disclosing it could make the matter worse when the Bar reviews your moral character evaluation.  As far as addressing it in our personal statement, that's a judgment call.

Agree with above, disclose, talk about what you learned and you should be OK. I had two DUIs and a bunch of pbluic intox stuff from 10 years ago, did not affect my getting into school and so far the bar has not called me about my app. I know people with worse who got through fine
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

Agree with above, disclose, talk about what you learned and you should be OK. I had two DUIs and a bunch of pbluic intox stuff from 10 years ago, did not affect my getting into school and so far the bar has not called me about my app. I know people with worse who got through fine

Your story is very reasuring and inspirational to someone like myself who got into silly misdeamor troubles as a youth, (disorderly conduct, stealing a bike when I was 15, fighting etc). No felonies though, but this still has had me worried

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

Your story is very reasuring and inspirational to someone like myself who got into silly misdeamor troubles as a youth, (disorderly conduct, stealing a bike when I was 15, fighting etc). No felonies though, but this still has had me worried

You should be fine, just dsilclose and talk about how those experinces made you a vetter adlut from having screwed up as a kid
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Crookiz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Now I'm going to continue working on the LSAT and I will post back when I get some results.