Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of a trial, adr or client relations class?  (Read 658 times)

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Importance of a trial, adr or client relations class?
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »
I was just wonder what your thoughts were on the importance of classes like trial practice, alternative dispute resolution, or introduction to representing clients. I have heard that all three are big wastes of time as courses(although they are easy A's for grades). I do not see myself being a litigator... instead will probably do business planning or estate/financial planning.... I am planning out my schedule and don't seem to have room for one of these courses.... are they really necessary?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of a trial, adr or client relations class?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
Probably more useful than any doctrinal course.  Just my $0.02.  But if you don't want to litigate, no need to take litigation-type courses.

Shake Zula

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »
Huge. Especially if you are not a people person. I know so many people in my class who have never had real client interaction even at the mot basic level. Makes more sense to take a class like that now because anything substantive you can learn during bar prep.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »
I'm going to try and make room to take some of these classes, but I'm sort of with you, my interest in the law is mostly academic and doing role plays of client interaction, etc. is not really up my alley.  We've done a few in legal writing and I feel like I'm in high school drama class or something.  I'm sure they give you more confidence when you actually do get into the situation of dealing with a client, though. 

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »
Thanks all. It sucks my school's advising system is pretty weak but at least lawschooldiscussion.org is still around!

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
I'm going to try and make room to take some of these classes, but I'm sort of with you, my interest in the law is mostly academic and doing role plays of client interaction, etc. is not really up my alley.  We've done a few in legal writing and I feel like I'm in high school drama class or something.  I'm sure they give you more confidence when you actually do get into the situation of dealing with a client, though. 

Yeah, I mean my biggest problem is that there are so many courses I would like to take and only a small number of credits I can actually take. I did great at my oral argument my 1L year (wowed all the judges) but I am pretty sure I don't want to deal with that type of law my whole life.