Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who has written their own letter of recommendation?  (Read 1313 times)

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Who has written their own letter of recommendation?
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
I have authorization from someone who has said "write me a draft, I'll look it over & make changes and then send it in"

I hate this idea. I've read the Montauk book & Ivey & Estrich..but the bottom line is that I've never written a recommendation for someone, and it's especially hard to write one for myself. I've never been able to really give myself a good pat on the back..and this is something that requires that ability..

I've given this person tons of info on what a good letter should look like (made copies of the relevant portions of all of those book), and I provided them a LONG list of my qualities and ideas for what should be on the letter.

This person also knows me extremely well.

Any direction here? Have you done this? What helped you? I'm about to work it to where either they write the letter, or I just go to someone else.

I just feel really stupid trying to put my own words in someone elses mouth.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who has written their own letter of recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »
If I were you I would go to somebody else. It has ethical violation flag all over it and you dont want it to come back and bite you on the ass when you least expect it. If you are that close with the person tell them you do not feel comfortable about writing it and if they will reconsider their request.

That just me though!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!