Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How's this for the PS?  (Read 1280 times)

TruckDrivinMan

• View Profile
    • Email
How's this for the PS?
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
I am thinking of writing it about how seeing America as a truck driver has made me both want to contribute more to society and feel that I am actually capable of doing so, referencing both things I have seen and the way I have grown as a person by being out "on an island" having to make quick decisions for myself.  I came from a fairly insular upbringing in a small town in Arkansas, went to UG in the same state, so I really feel that in the last couple years drving I have both found myself and discovered the world.  I do have a couple questions though:
Is this too much of a "why do you want to be a lawyer" type statement?
Does it make it seem like I didn't figure out that it's a good idea to help people/be engaged with the world until I was in my 30's?  Are adcomms looking for experiences from childhood?

Let me know what you think

tdm

DiscussLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How's this for the PS?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
Its great to help people!

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
it could have the makings of a really interesting and unique personal statement. if possible though, i would focus on one incident in particular to avoid being too much like a "personal experience" essay. also, avoid the "i'm going to law school to help people" angle; it's done far too often. maybe focus on a few experiences that interested you in the legal profession as a whole, if you can think of any from your truck driving years.

being in your 30s definitely won't hurt you.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
I agree it will make for a unique statement, which will help them remember you.  Just keep it really tight with one central theme so as not to be too vague and, thus, not really saying anything.  Having life experience will definitely help you.

Also - mention your rural upbringing in your statement.  No need to elaborate - just mention it.  Some schools give special consideration to those people, similar to the way they do minorities.