Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which recommendation would be better  (Read 1004 times)

themathminister

• View Profile
which recommendation would be better
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »
I have a DA (who is also my prof) writing 1 of my recs

The second one is going to be tough to get though. I'm in a 150 person logic class and I'm currently in the top 5% of the class grade-wise, and expect to be at the end of the quarter. Should I go to the professor's (philosophy prof) office hours one time before the quarter ends in 2 weeks, and then ask him for a rec after the class is over?

Or, should I ask my boss at my totally irrelevant (to law) job that i've had for ~9 months write it. There's only 2 other people in the company so he would write me a great rec, but does it mean anything coming from an owner of an extremely small start up?

Also, if i pick the phil professor, should i be honest when i go to his office hours about my intentions, or pretend he doesn't know what i know he will know. haha.

Input is greatly appreciated. I'm applying for the next cycle.

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: which recommendation would be better
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
If I were you, I'd go with the boss's letter. I don't think law schools care what kind of firm he owns or what kind of job it is. A great personal rec would probably be better than a more impersonal one from your philosophy professor.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »
Why not get both?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
If I were you, I'd go with the boss's letter. I don't think law schools care what kind of firm he owns or what kind of job it is. A great personal rec would probably be better than a more impersonal one from your philosophy professor.

Disagree.

If you're still in school, law schools are going to want to see at least two academic letters of rec.  Get it from your philosophy prof.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French