Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Blowing off Write-on?  (Read 2732 times)

RobAnonymous

• View Profile
Blowing off Write-on?
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
I hate it I hate it I hate it.  Our Note is due 3 days from now and I have read exactly 12 pages of the packet that is over 300 pages.  Is there any point in even trying at this point?  Can I get by with only skimming the packet and still have a shot (grades are 60% for law review).

I guess what I am asking is if there is any good reason to blow off even a remote chance at law review or journal membership?  My grades should end up being pretty good, no worse than top half and could be as good as top 15%.  I want to do criminal (potentially civil) litigation work, will a lack of law review be a huge liability?

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Blowing off Write-on?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
I don't know how your competition is, but from my experience and from what I've heard from friends, nobody actually reads the entire thing.  I'm guessing your page limit is from 5-10 pages?  Do you really think that you need to read 300 pages to write a good 5-10 page paper?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
Just do the write-on, you may kick yourself later for not doing it.  It's unlikely that you'll kick yourself in the future for doing it.

I'm with the poster above, in that, they don't really read the thing and, you don't have to do that much work.  I think a part of the exercise is being able to wade through the stuff quickly and figure out what is relevant and what is not.  Personally, I used the headnotes and summaries to figure out what was on point and what was not.  This may not be the most thorough method, but it's an efficient method considering the time constraints.  I think reading the whole packet in its entirety is a waste of time.  Figure out ways to narrow your reading.

Bottom line:  just three more days of work and then you're free.  You can do it.  Good luck.

runningjd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
Just do the write-on, you may kick yourself later for not doing it.  It's unlikely that you'll kick yourself in the future for doing it.

TITCR. OP, I know people who didn't finish the write-on last year and still regret it. Also, I don't know about your school but at my school 2/3's of your score is grades, 1/3 write-on. People who did awesome grade-wise have a lot more slush room to write a crappy mini-note and still get on. Don't sabotage yourself after one year of hard work just to take it easy for three days.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:14:36 PM »
I agree with the other posters.  It's a low cost/high reward opportunity.  Take advantage of it!

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
The thing about write on competitions is that a lot of people who start don't finish. So, just by handing something, anything, in, you're already at an advantage.

But being on a journal isn't for everyone. I hate it, as do most everyone else on my journal.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »
So, just by handing something, anything, in, you're already at an advantage.

I feel this advantage is mitigated by the fact that it's the try-hards who are more likely to turn something in.

God I want to just give up.
At least I can f-ing think.

HarveyWallbanger

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »
The thing about write on competitions is that a lot of people who start don't finish. So, just by handing something, anything, in, you're already at an advantage.

But being on a journal isn't for everyone. I hate it, as do most everyone else on my journal.

If you hate being on a journal - as i expect to - should i bother?  I mean, my grades will probably suffer, and for what?  Basically my only reason for doing a journal is because my grades are average and the economy sucks.  I know, these are powerful reasons for doing a jouranl.  But my gf and i just broke up and i really would rather do anything else than this damn journal competition garbage.

Am I an idiot for thinking about quitting?  TIA.
'Dozo-bound.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »
I loved and hated being on a journal.  The work sucks and most of the crap in journals is useless, but I enjoyed getting to know the other people on the journal.  These are usually the smarter people at your school and I think that makes them more interesting.  They are also the people you probably want to know later on in your career when you're looking for a new job.  I agree with what everyone said above.  Just suck it up and get it done.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I'll just be a terrible influence and say that I gave up half-way through the write-on and I am not particularly sorry I did. But everyone's circumstances are different.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.