Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois or Florida?  (Read 595 times)

Kathy2op

• View Profile
Illinois or Florida?
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
Hi guys, I am really in the deep need for an advice, anyone who can help.

So, I finally came down to two schools - UF and UIUC. Illinois would cost me a full sticker (about 40k a year), but Florida only about 6k (I have residency and some scholarship money). I love both, Chicago and Miami, and wouldn't mine live and work at either of them. Probably I like Chicago even a bit more than Florida. Anyway, in the end, I would move to any city where I would have better chances to find a good job and get better pay. I know Chicago is much bigger law market and Illinois places very well in BigLaws there. At the same time, UF is the best school in Florida and have a good reputation among local firms.
Do you think Illinois is worth taking extra 100k in debt for the chance of better future employment and maybe getting the job somewhere else out of state? How portable is it compare to Florida?

I still have deposits in both schools. I know it is awfully late in cycle and I had to make up my mind by know, but well... It's a decision that will have a huge impact on my life and I am very nervous to make a right choice. Would appreciate any advice!

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois or Florida?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
UF 18K v. UIUC 120K. I'd take Florida in this case. Have you let UIUC know about the cost difference of your choices? Maybe they can find you some money, you won't know until you ask. 

Kathy2op

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:30 PM »
No, I haven't spoken to UIUC. I just assumed that it's probably already too late in cycle to ask for money... However, I might be wrong. Will try to give them a call.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:37:59 PM »
No, I haven't spoken to UIUC. I just assumed that it's probably already too late in cycle to ask for money... However, I might be wrong. Will try to give them a call.

I'd write Paul Pless a well thought out (argued) email.  It doesn't put him on the spot as a phone call would, and allows you to sit down and think about exactly what you want to say.

Even if he says no, I'd still pick UofI though, hands down.  ;)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
UF 18K v. UIUC 120K. I'd take Florida in this case. Have you let UIUC know about the cost difference of your choices? Maybe they can find you some money, you won't know until you ask. 

I would choose UF also, but in the interest of full disclosure I'm a Gator!  :)

It would be best if you really sit down and think about where you want to (probably) live for the rest of your life.  Is living in Chicago worth 100k more to you?   I'd say that most people wouldn't think so, but you might be one of the few who thinks otherwise (and there's nothing wrong with that, but you need to be aware of the risk).  With low debt, you have more room for error, and there's less stress.

I agree that you should see if UIUC can do something for your situation.  Good luck!