Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scheduling Advice for a 3L?  (Read 487 times)

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Scheduling Advice for a 3L?
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »
Hi

I am a soon to be 3L who is also enrolled in my school's JD-MBA program. I know this is a pretty wide range but I am still torn between Corporate, Commercial, Bankruptcy, Tax and Estate Planning. Is there any recommendation of what courses to take?

In addition to my MBA courses, I have already taken all the basic 1L courses (civ pro, contracts, con law, crim, torts, property, legal writing and research), advanced contracts (high A), basic tax, trusts and estates, Business Organizations, Taxation of Buainess Enterprises (C corps, S corps and K entities), and Lawyer's Professional Responsibility.

I am scheduled for the coming Fall to take Evidence, a judicial externship (probably with a federal court), estate and gift tax, and bankruptcy. The following spring (2010) I am planning on taking UCC (Articles 2, 2A, 3 and 4), estate and financial planning, and 5 other credits worth of classes (I am thinking advanced bankruptcy for 3 of them).

The following fall, my final semester, I plan on taking business planning, secured transactions and up to 4 extra credits of classes.

I have credits from my journal that I can apply anywhere (more or less), so I am not facing an issue of finding enough credits. Instead I am just trying to figure out which courses will allow me to be broad enough to still potentially practice in any of the fields I am interested in but still specific enough to be helpful....

Any recommendations of how to fill the credit gaps I have or any changes I should make to my current plan? I have not taken securities regulations or administrative law. Should I? If I take advanced bankruptcy next spring, I can only take one of these, which seems more important to me? Also, should I take a trial practice or ADR courses to fill my 2 credit hole in the spring or should I take a course like elder law?

I am kind of all over the place with this stuff.... thanks for any help you can provide.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduling Advice for a 3L?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »
Do you have a job lined up?  If so, are they going to place you into a practice group? 

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduling Advice for a 3L?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
Do you have a job lined up?  If so, are they going to place you into a practice group? 

Nope. No job. At least not yet since I have another year and a half to go and the economy sucks. Just a summer job.