Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from Cooley...any tips?  (Read 5147 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Transferring from Cooley...any tips?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
In my very limited experience, I think some of the talk about how difficult Cooley is may be hyperbole.  I worked hard last term, but compared to the horror stories I've heard from other students (12 hour days 6 days a week, etc) I really didn't feel overwhelmed.  I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was lucky enough to speak to a lot of my friends that had been through law school as well as people on here, and had a fairly good idea of what the profs were looking for, which minimized my focus on unimportant details.  Towards the end of the term, as you can see from my worry on here, I actually didn't really know what to do with myself; in retrospect, I think this is just because I was well prepared. 

Regarding jobs, however, I'm still on the fence.  When I talk to even local associates, they're still pretty tough on Cooley; I was told flatly by a couple girls from a large local firm this weekend that Cooley students were given cursory interviews to keep up a rapport, but the students never really stand a chance.  I'm sure some of this is just haughtiness, but I can't imagine how awful it would be to graduate at the top of your class and still not have good prospects (of course that's not necessarily the case either, I know students graduating this year that already have jobs at large NY firms...but then there's a question of how much of that is connection based, etc).  So who knows at this point.  I'm just trying to get through my second term with minimal falloff right now.   

After you get past this term I would recommend you start doing some local networking. Even if you donít want to stay local knowing people in the legal community can help, they went to law school with and know lawyers in other towns as well. Keep your grades up AND make connections and you will be ahead of the game come job search time.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

lawguyFL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
In my very limited experience, I think some of the talk about how difficult Cooley is may be hyperbole.  I worked hard last term, but compared to the horror stories I've heard from other students (12 hour days 6 days a week, etc) I really didn't feel overwhelmed.  I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was lucky enough to speak to a lot of my friends that had been through law school as well as people on here, and had a fairly good idea of what the profs were looking for, which minimized my focus on unimportant details.  Towards the end of the term, as you can see from my worry on here, I actually didn't really know what to do with myself; in retrospect, I think this is just because I was well prepared. 

I didn't say it was impossible or difficult - I said they expect you to work. You have to know the stuff and come in and be ready for the exam. Nothing there is overly complicated and the professors (majority) are willing to help  / meet etc .

The people who whine about cooley being hard are those who want to pretend they are still in undergrad and think they can study for a few days and pass. Cooley isnt the place to do that.

Regarding jobs, however, I'm still on the fence.  When I talk to even local associates, they're still pretty tough on Cooley; I was told flatly by a couple girls from a large local firm this weekend that Cooley students were given cursory interviews to keep up a rapport, but the students never really stand a chance.  I'm sure some of this is just haughtiness, but I can't imagine how awful it would be to graduate at the top of your class and still not have good prospects (of course that's not necessarily the case either, I know students graduating this year that already have jobs at large NY firms...but then there's a question of how much of that is connection based, etc).  So who knows at this point.  I'm just trying to get through my second term with minimal falloff right now.   

As for being tough on cooley - apparently it depends on where you are:the various people I've come across including the long established firm i interned with had nothing but good things to say about cooley including - "if you made it through there you must know what you are doing."

I would put a Cooley grad up against any one that went to another "normal" law school who didnt have to take the depth of classes we had to do (being exposed to a litle of everything).

Instead of worrying about transferring focus on doing well and if you can transfer and thats what you want do it..

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 03:24:42 AM »
OP, do you feel like a low-life schmuck when you drive through lansing and see nothing but MSU flags all over the place, just knowing that MSU is not a very good school (for law), yet is so much better then the school you chose to attend? I actually think there are MSU flags on Cooley just to cover up the bad stench that dissipates from that school over the Lansing area (which is pretty bad considering how much of a ghetto dump Lansing is).