Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from Cooley...any tips?  (Read 4992 times)

Frogconcept

• View Profile
Transferring from Cooley...any tips?
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:22:31 PM »
Cleanup

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring from Cooley...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
first of all, don't PLAN on transferring, let alone transferring out of cooley of all places.  you have NO idea how good of grades you will get.  pretty much every single 1L is surprised when grades come out, whether those grades are good or bad.  there is just no way to predict. 

couple that with the facts that cooley's curve is notoriously harsh and their reputation sucks, transferring out of cooley is very difficult.  just try as hard as you can to do whatever it takes to get the grades to get the hell out of cooley.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »
Instill you with confidence that you'll be able to get a job out of the Midwest? For God's sake, they are lying to you if they say you have a decent chance of getting a job in Michigan.

The best advice anyone can give you is "don't go to Cooley." The next piece of advice anyone can give you is "don't plan on being able to transfer out of Cooley, because 90% of your classmates have the same plan, and 89% of them will fail to transfer to a school worth transferring to, if they manage to transfer at all." The last piece of advice anyone can give you is "work like your life depends on it- as much as you can without going past the point where it does no good- because your financial life really does depend on it."

I'm sorry, but your plan is bad. It is shared by hundreds of other incoming Cooley students. Going to a school you wouldn't be happy coming out of is always a bad idea. The quality of the professors and your peers is entirely irrelevant in this calculus. This is coming from someone who *is* planning to transfer, by the way. The fact that I have transferring as an option has little to do with anything but luck. If I didn't have luck on my side, however, I wouldn't have ended up destitute coming out of my current school. You can't say the same; and that is the harsh reality of it.

Edit: Just to be clear, "some measure of academic success" doesn't cut it to transfer out of any school. That applies more strongly- not less- to Cooley. You're considering your options too narrowly. Retake the LSAT, go to a better school. Your numbers aren't so bad that Cooley is your only obtainable option.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
Don't go!  You have to get like, what, top 5% just to transfer out of Cooley?  Anything below that and you are stuck there.  Good luck with that.  Don't say people didn't warn you when you wind up in like the 20% and have no options.

jcvidal

• It could always be worse
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:41:51 AM »
Speaking from personal experience, I transferred from another T4 to a mid T2.  I ranked in the top third at the T4, worked at a Prosecutor's Office before transferring, US Senator's Office, etc.  Perhaps, it was my work experience but I know someone from my graduating class ('09) who transferred from Cooley who ranked in the top 20% there.  Top 5% from Cooley could quite possibly get you into GULC.  I know people who have done it.  It all depends where you want to transfer.  The highest school you'll be able to transfer to is GULC with a ranking in the top 5%.  Cooley has an incredibly high attrition rate and a poor reputation in the legal community.  Is this a place you could see yourself graduating from if you're unable to transfer?

That being said, you have no idea where you'll end up being ranked after the first year.  Although with a 158 LSAT, I think you have the potential to do very well with a change of work ethic. 

Like you, I went into law school with the plan of transferring because my numbers weren't up to par for a T100 school.  I felt my numbers weren't an accurate represenation for my potential in law school. Fortunately, it worked out, but make sure you're ready to accept graduating from Cooley.  What about MSU?  They're a T3, much more respectable than Cooley and easier to transfer out of.       

Frogconcept

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:59:46 AM »
Cleanup

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:10:09 AM »
Some things you can do between now and when you try to transfer:

Create out of class relationships with professors, youíll want some recommenders, so make sure you visits office hours and let them get to know you.

Focus on your grades, lots of people have good success with doing practice exams.

Target schools and areas where you have a good reason for transferring (contacts, relationship to the area) youíre going to need a compelling reason besides I go to Cooley and I want out.

Finally have a backup plan if you canít transfer. The lower ranked the school the more regional it is, your best bet will be to find something after graduation in GR. So if you donít transfer get involved in the legal community outside of school and start networking. This will lead to far more options locally after graduation then relying on the schools rep (through OCI or mass mailing) to land a job.

Good luck.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
Maybe you should apply to a part-time, evening program at a lower tier 2 or maybe tier 3 instead of going to Cooley.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »
Its extremly tough but if someone is in the top 10% of their class at cooley and want to transfer they have pretty good options. I know a friend of mine who was able to transfer from Cooley to Georgetown this year, and from what he told me couple of other people in his class have done the same as well. Just throwing that out there lol

Although I cant imagine all those thousands of students fighting to be in the top 10%, talk about cut throat competition!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »
This is my first time applying myself to any substantial degree, so it's a learning process.  It's becoming very apparent that I've never really studied in any real sense before.  I'm trying to whip myself into a routine right now...up at around 7-8 AM, three S's, breakfast, then off to wherever to study until lunch...about an hour off, and then back to the books until around 5 or 6, when night classes are.  After class, I've allowed myself a couple beers and a movie.  I'm extremely inefficient at the moment...I constantly catch myself getting distracted. 

Iím studying for the bar right now, and normally Iím very good at my time management, but I have found bar study to be extremely tedious and boring, so Iíve had to make some adjustments. Here is what I did, I took Outlook and made a study calendar 7AM Ėnoon study X, 1PM Ė 5PM practice questions. 5:30 PM Ė 9:30 PM bar class. I made it out for the next two weeks, color coded and everything. Printed that out and put it on the wall next to my desk. I turned off the phone. I also downloaded a countdown timer gadget for my side bar. Its set to 10 mins, every time I take a break I start the timer, I then got 10 mins to do whatever procrastination stuff I want to, when it goes off, I stop whatever I am doing and go back to work. After 2 weeks its become a routine and Iím not wasting as much time. The biggest thing for me was making it a routine to do the same things at the same time everyday. If I waited a or studied at different times each day I put stuff off for too long. Treat LS like a job, set hours to do set things and it will become a habit. OK timer went off, back to bar study.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.