Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Maine of Suffolk?  (Read 725 times)

bLawb

• View Profile
University of Maine of Suffolk?
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
I got into both University of Maine and Suffolk Law (evening division program).
Pros?
Maine- 3 years, possible in-state tuition for years 2 and 3 (roughly 20 k in-state, 30 k out of state)
Suffolk- Will pay roughly 25 k / year for 3.5-4 years. But will continue working full time.. so by never leaving the work force I may graduate with  a leg up compared to others?

Also, I'm looking to stay in business, corporate, compliance.. probably not looking to practice.

What would YOU do?!!?!

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Maine of Suffolk?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
Would you be happy living the rest of your life, or at least for quite a while, in Maine, or would you prefer to be in Boston?

bLawb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »
I wouldn't mind Maine, but wouldn't want to be stuck there... I didn't know if Maine's 'reputation' or network would extend throughout New England. Essentially I plan on staying in New England after school..

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
I wouldn't mind Maine, but wouldn't want to be stuck there... I didn't know if Maine's 'reputation' or network would extend throughout New England. Essentially I plan on staying in New England after school..

Well, if you want to stay in NE, I'd go to Suffolk if I were you.  Since you will be continuing to work full-time you'll keep your debt down.  I think it'd be a decent choice for you. 

Northwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »
In your shoes, I would attend Suffolk. It has a great network, extending beyond the legal field into business and around New England. Also, continuing to work is a big plus—especially if you're not looking to practice afterward, since (presumably) experience will be more important and taking 3 years off will be more detrimental.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
As a Maine native who went to UG in Boston, my vote is for UMaine.  It's the big fish in the small pond of Maine law, and after a few years at a firm like Bernstein Shur or Peirce Atwood, you could go elsewhere in New England (although you might not want to, as life in a town like Portland can be pretty sweet.)

If you go to Suffolk, for your first job you're up against a half dozen other schools, just in the Boston area alone.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.