Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse (with $$$) vs. Rutgers Camden (no $$$)  (Read 1170 times)

CareerChange

• View Profile
Syracuse (with $$$) vs. Rutgers Camden (no $$$)
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
Hello! I need some thoughts on whether I should go for Syracuse with a tuition scholarship of $26k/$43k renewable over three year or for Rutgers Camden without any $$$s. I don't care much about location (as long as I am within commutable distance from NYC). My goal is to do well at 1L and hopefully move to a top 50 school next year. Any thoughts will be much greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much and good luck!  

CareerChange

• View Profile
Re: Syracuse (with $$$) vs. Rutgers Camden (no $$$)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
No one has any opinion on this?   ???

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:56:40 PM »
Is Rutgers in-state or out? If it were me, I would take Rutgers, but only if you're ok with working in the Philly area when you're done.

CareerChange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »
Thanks Remarq! I'm an international student so I'll be paying out-of-state tuition. I want to specialize in either corporate law or taxation, and want to work in northeast. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »
Thanks Remarq! I'm an international student so I'll be paying out-of-state tuition. I want to specialize in either corporate law or taxation, and want to work in northeast. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

doesn't rutgers give you in-state tuition if you sign a 12 month lease in state?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »
Ummm...Syracuse is in no way commutable to NYC.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »

wow i missed that part.  on that note, camden is a good 2-2.5 hour commute to NYC as well.  this still beats the 4.5 hours it takes to get there from 'cuse, but you're not really close to NYC with either option and rutgers camden feeds more into philly firms than nyc ones.

i really think upstate schools trick unsuspecting international students into thinking they're near NYC.  i smell a conspiracy.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

wow i missed that part.  on that note, camden is a good 2-2.5 hour commute to NYC as well.  this still beats the 4.5 hours it takes to get there from 'cuse, but you're not really close to NYC with either option and rutgers camden feeds more into philly firms than nyc ones.

i really think upstate schools trick unsuspecting international students into thinking they're near NYC.  i smell a conspiracy.

That isn't the school's fault.  It's a common misperception that NYC is easily accessible by all parts of NY.  The drive is more like 4 hours from 'cuse (I just did it Monday), but you have to drive through PA and NJ.  That should give people from other parts of the world a sense of how massive NY is.  It would take about 6-7 hours from Buffalo to get to NYC.  Driving from one end of NY to the other (ripley to montauk) would take about 9 1/2 hours.  Massive.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

CareerChange

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
Thank you so much guys - all your comments are really helpful! I've pretty much made up my mind to go to Rutgers (despite no money). Rutgers has a great alumni network around the tri-state area, which hopefully works out from the employment perspective. Good luck to all of you!!

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »

That isn't the school's fault.  It's a common misperception that NYC is easily accessible by all parts of NY.  The drive is more like 4 hours from 'cuse (I just did it Monday), but you have to drive through PA and NJ.  That should give people from other parts of the world a sense of how massive NY is.  It would take about 6-7 hours from Buffalo to get to NYC.  Driving from one end of NY to the other (ripley to montauk) would take about 9 1/2 hours.  Massive.

i was kidding.  but considering that my school used to tell jamaicans that the weather in ithaca wasn't that extreme, i wouldn't be surprised if they said the school was only 3 hours from NYC.

also, it used to take me 4 hours to get to syracuse from NJ (i live on the direct path between nyc and syracuse).  in addition, pennsylvania construction can tack on a lot of time.  since the state is always under construction, it's probably a good idea to pad travel times.

as i write this, i realize that i've spent too much of my life driving between new jersey and upstate new york.  fml.