Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tax LLM a requirement to get hired at firms?  (Read 2189 times)

runningjd

• View Profile
    • Email
Tax LLM a requirement to get hired at firms?
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
I just started my summer job at a firm, and I am very interested in doing tax. I was told today that my firm, and most firms, really only hire new associates with LLMs (or parallel experience, such as work for the IRS). This puts me in a bit of a pickle, as clearly the intimation is that in order to get into the practice area I prefer, I need to get an LLM.

It's not as if I haven't considered an LLM in Tax before: I just thought it might be a down the line thing, something to pursue after I pay down my law school loans a bit.

At any rate I just finished my second year at a top 30 school (used to be a top 25, thanks 2009 US News rankings). I'm in the middle of my class, though I have an A- average in the two tax courses I've taken. I also do VITA.

Does anyone have a feeling for how my application would fair at the top 10 LLM programs? It was also intimated by the person I spoke to that I should try to get into the best program I can, but I don't know if I have a shot at NYU, Florida, G-Town, etc.

I would also be curious to know people's thoughts on the necessity of an LLM.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Tax LLM a requirement to get hired at firms?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
My firm just sends its new tax hires to get a tax LLM part time. Different firms may have different takes on whether the LLM is necessary.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?