Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Four strong similar LORs?  (Read 1080 times)

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
Four strong similar LORs?
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »
I'm an English major and I have four different English professors who would write me glowing recommendations. Should I send all four in, considering that they may all say similar things about how I write well, participate well, etc? Is it necessary for me to find a non-English professor for variety? I may be able to get one from an employer, but the recommendation would not be as strong.

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Four strong similar LORs?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
anyone?

steubenville

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Four strong similar LORs?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
I'm new at this game, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I am sending in at least three letters of rec, one from a philosophy professor, one from a Spanish professor, and one from my advisor who teaches various humanities classes.

If you read the form that LSAC requires your recommenders to include with their letters of rec, you will see that LSAC encourages your professors to include stuff about "...how the candidate will add to the diversity of the law school."

With that in mind, I think it would be best to mix it up with your letters, if possible. At least, that's the approach I took. I think law schools would like to know how you perform in different classroom settings, just as an employer might be interested in knowing how well you perform at doing various tasks that will be reflective of the job setting.

That being said, if you can't find any other professors to write you good letters, then obviously go with the four English profs.
Notre Dame Law School Class of 2013