Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice from a guy who just finished his first year  (Read 3662 times)

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice from a guy who just finished his first year
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
I never touched anything commercial except examples and explanations during finals period. All I did was do my reading and brief the cases everyday.

jag1086

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:45 PM »
Would you mind explaining how the Westlaw system works?  Do you have to pay for each case or is it a subscription?  Also, would taking a prepclass (such as law preview) before starting be worthwhile?  Ive heard mixed things.  Thanks so much. 

gzl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
Would you mind explaining how the Westlaw system works?  Do you have to pay for each case or is it a subscription?  Also, would taking a prepclass (such as law preview) before starting be worthwhile?  Ive heard mixed things.  Thanks so much. 

I'm not sure who this was addressed to, but I'll give what little help I can.  As for Westlaw, I think they have several subscription options (i saw a subscription rate pdf somewhere on http://west.thomson.com , but can't find it now).  My understanding is that it's expensive as an individual no matter what option you choose.  It's included as part of your registration fees/tuition for most schools.  As far as prepclasses for law school, I can't see where they would be much help.  My guess is that they'll all come down to two or three pieces of actual, concrete advise: learn to outline your classes, brief every case, and learn IRAC.  The first and last are good pieces of advise, the second depends on your time availability and learning style.  I don't see paying time or money into such a class as being very useful, unless, maybe, you're a returning student who hasn't been involved in academics for some time and "getting comfortable" with things before entering the classroom might be psychologically helpful.