Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going solo immediately after graduation?  (Read 1302 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone going solo immediately after graduation?
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
I'm not, but sometimes often wish I was.

Matthies, you graduated right?

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going solo immediately after graduation?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
I'm always amazed people can do this.  Who in their right mind would give legal work to a solo practitioner who just graduated from law school? 

I do know a kid that went solo after graduating because his dad's business gave him all their legal work.  It's basically his only client but it pays the bills.  I wish I had that kind of connection...  Actually, if I did I'd probably just parlay it into a bigger firm where they give you bonus based on originating work.  There's an associate at my firm who gets the 100k max bonus every year because his dad's firm does more than a million of legal work and he originated the business (he gets 10%). 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:37:06 PM »
I often threaten to try to start a settlement mill upon graduation.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »

I do know a kid that went solo after graduating because his dad's business gave him all their legal work.  It's basically his only client but it pays the bills.  I wish I had that kind of connection...  Actually, if I did I'd probably just parlay it into a bigger firm where they give you bonus based on originating work.   

Isn't that essentially just your dad continuing to pay for your life, except that now he expects work in return?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
I'm not, but sometimes often wish I was.

Matthies, you graduated right?

Yep, graduated. Not going solo - well maybe you could call it going solo as I'll only have one client but I'll have two lawyers at least I'll have to report to. But one of my best freinds did go solo right after law school criminal defense, made 12k in paid fees her first month, and that's been her slowest month so far. She was a criminal defnse paralegal before going to law school and knows everyone in the criminal defanse bar and they have been feeding her cases. When we had lunch last week she told me she was truning down more work than she can take and offered me a clerking job if I wanted while I studied for the bar. Criminal defense is one of those things you can go solo right away and do well if you know what your doing and have balls of steel. It will be 1 year for her in Aug and she has already had 22 trals, won all but 5. Crazy good experince, but I would be scred to death to do a trail by myself.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
Dude, I think it'd be awesome to go solo. I want to open my own firm after 5 or 10 years. Not sure I could do it right after graduating though, especially since I have like no connections and no previous law experience.