Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help!!! Pacific-McGeorge or Rutgers-Camden?  (Read 1256 times)

Lauren1213

• View Profile
Please help!!! Pacific-McGeorge or Rutgers-Camden?
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
I am considering two things, especially, to decide on a law school. The International Law program and the national reputation of the law school.  I have to decide between Pacific-McGeorge and Rutgers-Camden. 

Where would you go?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please help!!! Pacific-McGeorge or Rutgers-Camden?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
Don't worry about international law coming out of either one of those schools.

I'd take Pacific, mainly because of my anti-NJ bias.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »
Don't go to McGeorge unless you want to work in California state gov't.  Sac also isn't much to write home about (lived there until law school so I can attest).  I, personally, would want to do international law in a city whose "international airport" actually has international destinations.  Sacramento is not that city.

Also, making your decision based on a specific program is not always the best idea.  During your 1L you will change your mind 100 times and you may not even want to do int'l law anymore.  This is coming from someone whose undergrad degree was in international relations and went to law school to do international law--it's no longer my focus since I've been in school.  So my point is just make sure you pick a school based on all factors, not just one program.

Lauren1213

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:40:57 AM »
Thank you so much for the advice!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

LooneyBin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
I'm late to join this discussion, but if you want a job after law school then definitely go to Rutgers Camden. I also agree with the Anna Ivey article that the international law programs are nothing more than useless hype.
Cuse Law '08-'09
Penn State Law '11

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
The Anna Ivey article is very good and very true.

I also want to add to my earlier comment and impart some advice I got from an adjunct prof. at my law school who also works as a professional arbiter and flies off to some international destination every week to settle disputes.  He said that if you want to be able to work overseas as a lawyer, you first need to be a good "American" lawyer, meaning you have a strong background in corporations, bankruptcy, litigation, admin, etc. you get the picture.  He said the greatest tragedy he sees in his students, since he teaches international arbitration and like classes, is the ones who take ALL international law courses, but don't take other very basic courses.  They leave law school woefully unprepared and have trouble finding good jobs because they haven't learned anything useful.  Basically, he said the best way to succeed as a lawyer and to get a job that lets you work overseas is to have a strong foundation in law.  Once you do that, you'll open yourself up to a world of choices.

I was lucky to get that advice my first month or so into 1L year and it totally changed my outlook on law school and what courses to take.  I hope you find it helpful too!

1Lin09hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
It's all about where you want to live - Sacramento or New Jersey. The good thing about Rutgers-Camden is that it carries well throughout NJ so you aren't stuck in Camden, by any means. And, by the way, if you aren't familiar with Camden the surrounding areas are actually nice. Supposedly R-C also places OK in Philly (which is across the river), but you're dealing with a LOT of competition there. But going to R-C can get you a GREAT judicial clerkship.

I visited both schools, and applied only to Rutgers-Camden. But I'm an east coast girl, so that choice was easy. Also, when I visited Pacific-McGeorge during July of last summer, I chatted with a recent graduate who was there studying for the bar. He seemed rather obviously disgruntled. Seemed like he chose to go there over "better" schools because of a scholarship, but now can't find a job. Remember that California is a big market for people to move to so there is not necessarily any local loyalty. People from the T-14 will relocate to CA for jobs, so employers can be picky.  And, well, Jersey is Jersey.

Good luck if you haven't decided yet!
I'm doing it because the fortune in the fortune cookie told me to.

Lauren1213

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
Thank you all so much for the help!

feast_of_wire

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
I'm not sure either school is a good value, unless you're in state at Rutgers.  You should know that neither school is very well respected.  If these are the best you can do with your current LSAT score, I encourage you to retake and save your money for now.  You would do better getting some real-world experience and graduating a year later from a better school.