Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting independent 101  (Read 2120 times)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Getting independent 101
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 09:05:24 PM »
You can definitely make it work.  What's the cost of living there?  Probably the major thing is that you'll need to live much more frugally...not going out for dinner, drinks, movies, etc all the time, taking public transportation if you have to/have it, stuff like that.  $8/hour sounds rough to live off of, but it's possible, and obviously would be easier if you made more.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »
Just realize that your standard of living is going to go WAY down.  You can't afford to live like your parents do.  You'll have to budget and be very realistic.  It sucks, but it builds character.  You'll be better for this in the long run.

Do you have any money saved up?  You really, really need savings.  You would be surprised how many mini-emergencies come up.  If not, you need to stash every dime you make and wait another 6 months or so.  Before you move out, you should have enough saved to completely cover your expenses for a few months.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

TimMitchell

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »
I've been self aufficent for four years, moved out of my parents house when I was 19 when I bought a house. It rocks.

That being said, if I was in your shoes I'd suck it up for a year and save as much as you can to have a little nest egg when you start law school next year.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
You can definitely make it work.  What's the cost of living there?  Probably the major thing is that you'll need to live much more frugally...not going out for dinner, drinks, movies, etc all the time, taking public transportation if you have to/have it, stuff like that.  $8/hour sounds rough to live off of, but it's possible, and obviously would be easier if you made more.

The cost of living here isn't bad, but I don't think what I make is going to be enough.  So I will have to start saving any way possible. 

As far as saving, I pretty much have none, so that's why I gotta get everything together.  Hopefully I will be able to have something substantial this time next year.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »
When are you starting law school?  If you are starting in the fall, just suck it up.  If it will be '10, then you should move out, but don't be too hasty.  Make sure you do your homework checking out apartments.  You should spend more than about 30% of your monthly net income on rent.  Food should only be another 20% or so, and then 20-30% should go toward transportation/etc.  That gives you 20-30% to save (or for emergencies).  It is really pretty impossible to live on your own AND save with a $8/hr. job.  You have to make a choice.  Do you want to save for LS or do you want your freedom?  If you can score a job that pays 50% more or so, you'll be in better shape. 

There are a lot of hidden expenses that come up when you decide to move out.  You have to really think about the big picture.  You're going to need furniture, dishes, cooking utensils, a shower curtain, etc.  You'll have to buy things like toilet paper, milk, and cooking oil more than you expect.  You'll have to juggle paying 2-5 bills a month (usually on quite different dates).  You might have to deal with an annoying landlord/super or annoying roommates.  If your parents are a major pain in the ass, this can all be worth it.  If the problems you have with your parents can be reconciled, you might want to try talking to them.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 09:59:35 AM »
Thanks all.  I am pretty sure that moving out will be a necessity.  Talking to them has been pretty pointless as they assume they know more than I do and getting treated like a 16 year old at my age is enough to irk anyone.  I think that getting a roommate will make things easier though.  I think I will try to make use out of my time too before LS and work as much as possible so that way I can go but with as little debt as possible and also keep my sanity.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »
I've been self aufficent for four years, moved out of my parents house when I was 19 when I bought a house. It rocks.

That being said, if I was in your shoes I'd suck it up for a year and save as much as you can to have a little nest egg when you start law school next year.

How did you accomplish this? 19?
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

TimMitchell

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »

I found a really great job that I'm really good at right out of high school.

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »

I found a really great job that I'm really good at right out of high school.

Sex sells

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
or, as in lil' timmeh's case, so do taking payoffs stay away from someone's daughter.