Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting independent 101  (Read 2070 times)

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
Getting independent 101
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Hey all,

I kinda ranted about this in another post, but I am trying to move out of my parents house before the end of summer since they are going through some weird phase that involves them being way controlling to the point where honestly it is affecting my relationships.  I also think it's about time anyway since I am in my mid 20s and know I am an adult enough to where this is necessary for personal well-being.  So, I am posting this to ask advice on how I successfully get out of their house and make it on my own and still be able to afford all the law stuff.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Getting independent 101
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
Ummm, do you have a job?  Because an income would allow you to do this.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
I do, but not a well-paying one as it's only 8/hour.  I am in the process of trying to get a new one so that this becomes a reality fast.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
It can be done.  You need a roommate and a moderate standard of living.  You also need to tell your folks that you are in your mid-20's and you need to start becoming self sufficient.  You're not casting them out of your life, you just need to begin living on your own because you're going to have to when you go to law school.  And you will still see them plenty.  But budgeting should be your first step.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
Thanks. 

I've tried telling them I want to be on my own etc, but they just are not reasonable about it.  Pretty much they act like I am moving to get out of their house, and honestly it is getting to be more that way.

I have an interview Monday, so hopefully, that can be my first step out of their house.

As far as budgeting, how much would anyone say is reasonable for food and other personal expenses?  I just am trying to get this all out in excel so I can predict what I need ahead of time.

John F. Kennedy

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »
Well, they won't be reasonable about it because they probably still view you as a child to a degree.  You shouldn't need to ask for their permission.  But when you tell them you've made the decision and that you can afford, they'll have to treat you like an adult.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
True.  Just frustrated.

John F. Kennedy

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
The key is not putting yourself in a situation where you have to ask your folks for help or a bailout. 

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
What is the interview for? A higher paying job?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »
Yeah.  I figured it was time for a change in work and also can use the money so I can carry out my plans.

John F. Kennedy