Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Second Thoughts.  (Read 3915 times)

Robert999

• View Profile
    • Email
Second Thoughts.
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:07:19 AM »
After sinking a lot of time, effort and money into the LSAT, applications, visiting schools, and getting accepted to a school with a very generous scholarship, I am finding myself having second thoughts about going through with actually attending this fall.

I've gone so far as to narrow my choice down to a single school, paid my seat deposit, and have been registered for classes in the fall. I am already getting welcome information from said school.

However, as I consider all of the implications of actually leaving my current job, I find myself increasingly uneasy and I am reconsidering this entire ordeal. While my tuition would be virtually free, there is the matter of losing income for 3 years and having to take out student loans to cover living expenses for my family while I attend school.

Not to mention, the economy is horrible right now and there are no guarantees that the legal market will be booming in 3 years. I am considering continuing in my current job and getting my Masters Degree (which I could do via distance learning.)

What are the consequences of withdrawing after one has gone this far? Would this scratch me in the future at this particular school if I decide to reapply? Has anyone else had second thoughts after going this far into the process? If so, how did you ultimately make your final decision?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Second Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
I'm in a similar position. I'm really struggling with whether or not to attend law school this fall. I'm in at a school a like a lot, but it's very expensive. I've thought about retaking the LSAT, or changing my focus and studying for the GMAT and getting an MBA. I have a few decent job offers, nothing amazing but I could pay the bills, I just finished ugrad so there isn't a family involved for me. 

It seems like it's a lot easier to get in to top business schools than law schools. I'm concerned about the legal market too, and my ability to pay down 100K in loans. I'm on one waitlist that would make things a lot easier. I think if you do it tactfully and respectfully you might be able to withdraw and then reapply in the future, but I would write them a letter about why you're withdrawing explaining everything.   

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Bailing now is the right time to do it if you're going to. It's going to get a lot more expensive if you do it later and it's going to make it a lot harder to come back. So yeah, if you're going to jump, do it now.

That being said, I think a lot of people have at least some second thoughts before committing the time and money that is required for a law degree. We had a few people leave after orientation and during the first few weeks, but only a couple.

Take some time and think about it. A JD won't hurt you, but it will take some time and cost some money.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Robert999

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:58:47 PM »
It's the living expenses for my family that concern me the most. I basically get to go to law school for about 4K a year with the scholarship that I was given. The scholarship only requires that I maintain a 2.0 GPA, so as long as I am passing, the tuition is taken care of.

Leaving the relative security of my current job is giving me pause in this current economy. I also worry about fining a job three years from now.

Everyone keeps telling me that I can take out student loans to cover the family expenses while in law school. I just worry about taking on 60K in debt.

I do think that the ceiling on earning potential with a law degree is a lot higher than I will ever see in my current job. I am just trying to figure out of the benefit outweighs the risks.

sillysassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
I am in exactly the same situation. I was so excited about going to school, and now the excitement is waining. I wonder if it has to do with alot of negativity of chat boards and such about attending school. I also recieved nice scholarships, and would be able to go for almost free tuition. Like you, my hang-up is the debt for living expenses, and the lack of income for three years. I have been out of school for 5 years, and it seems like I have finally gotten ahold of my finances. In addition, some new jobs are opening up where I work. I really think I would like going to school and being a lawyer, its just going from a paying job to having more debt that has me nervous. I guess that is why alot of folks go right after UG.
In: UW, L&C$$$,Indiana U$$$,Univ Colorado$,U Denver $$$, U Oregon $, Utah $$$, Baylor $$$$, Tulane $$$$, Illinois $$$, Temple $$, Boston College, St. Louis U $$$$, UC Davis, UNM
Denied: Berkeley
WL: U Texas, Duke, Northwestern
3.95 GPA, 158+165 LSAT, 5 years NEPA experience since UG

Robert999

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
I am in exactly the same situation. I was so excited about going to school, and now the excitement is waining. I wonder if it has to do with alot of negativity of chat boards and such about attending school. I also recieved nice scholarships, and would be able to go for almost free tuition. Like you, my hang-up is the debt for living expenses, and the lack of income for three years. I have been out of school for 5 years, and it seems like I have finally gotten ahold of my finances. In addition, some new jobs are opening up where I work. I really think I would like going to school and being a lawyer, its just going from a paying job to having more debt that has me nervous. I guess that is why alot of folks go right after UG.

You nailed it. Exact same boat.

Do you have a family to support as well?

sillysassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »
I do not have a family, so that is a little easier. I do have a BF and two dogs who would most likely be moving with me. The state I live in has no law school, so I am looking at moving away to go to school. If my BF gets a job then he will be moving. That is a big "if" in this economy. If he doesn't get a job, then I dont know if he will be moving or not. So, to make it even more stressful I can't really start looking for places to rent until I figure out if he is moving with me or not.

I can imagine it would be a much more difficult decision if I had a family support. Its difficult for me even without kids...
In: UW, L&C$$$,Indiana U$$$,Univ Colorado$,U Denver $$$, U Oregon $, Utah $$$, Baylor $$$$, Tulane $$$$, Illinois $$$, Temple $$, Boston College, St. Louis U $$$$, UC Davis, UNM
Denied: Berkeley
WL: U Texas, Duke, Northwestern
3.95 GPA, 158+165 LSAT, 5 years NEPA experience since UG

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
It's the living expenses for my family that concern me the most. I basically get to go to law school for about 4K a year with the scholarship that I was given. The scholarship only requires that I maintain a 2.0 GPA, so as long as I am passing, the tuition is taken care of.

Leaving the relative security of my current job is giving me pause in this current economy. I also worry about fining a job three years from now.

Everyone keeps telling me that I can take out student loans to cover the family expenses while in law school. I just worry about taking on 60K in debt.

I do think that the ceiling on earning potential with a law degree is a lot higher than I will ever see in my current job. I am just trying to figure out of the benefit outweighs the risks.

i think you have a lot of valid reasons for your second thoughts but i wanted to call out on your job concerns 3 years down the line.  stop watching so much CNBC and realize that the economy is starting to pick up again.  you'll probably find a job in 3 years, the media just likes to sensationalize everything so that you think the world is ending tomorrow.  the economy is always cause for concern but unfortunately i think the current 2Ls and 3Ls are going to take the brunt of it the most.

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
Also having similar thoughts, though I haven't done anything beyond paying a seat deposit.  I certainly don't want to burn any bridges if I decide on not attending this fall, so would a letter explaining my circumstances addressed to the administration suffice, if this is what I decide? 

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
You thought about it.

You planned.

You worked for it.

You were excited about it.

-Don't let "cold feet" stop you when you are so close.  A little debt ain't gonna hurt'cha!