Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tips for the Reading Comprehension Section  (Read 1214 times)

idk22222

• View Profile
Tips for the Reading Comprehension Section
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
Can anyone give me some tips on how to attack the reading comprehension section. Out of like 27 questions, i want to attempt all of them in 35 mins and get 20 correct. How do I do this?

rockababy123

• MSN Messenger - bonjovifan1985@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips for the Reading Comprehension Section
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:32:09 PM »
My best advice would be to look at what types of questions you miss the most and practice those types.  The only thing that really works is practice, practice, practice.  Good Luck!

lindsaylohan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »
Reading comp started out as my strongest section and is actually not my weakest. I havent gone down in reading comp, but I have made large improvements in the other sections.

I think the best approach is to read the passage entirely and summarize it in your head before moving on the questions. Summarizing may take some time but it saves time once you get to the questions because you have already thought about the passage. I started to jot down notes in the margins, noting in particular main points, cause and effect and evidence of the authors perspective. This also helps to anticipate questions and locate answers more quickly.

I do not always get to every question in the section (usually dont get to the last 2 questions), but I am getting more of the questions I do correct.

idk22222

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »
My best advice would be to look at what types of questions you miss the most and practice those types.  The only thing that really works is practice, practice, practice.  Good Luck!

Thanks!

lsatbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
Understand words.

catalogguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
Spend your first 45-60 seconds prioritizing the sections... do them in the order that seems easiest to you.  There are different ways to prioritize, but give it a try. 

Once you have marked up some text and are into the questions, omit a question that takes too long and mark it in case you choose to come back to it (you probably won't).

Look for ways to save time for example if you're going to guess, note which letter you will choose at the moment to you decide to move on.  That way when you come back to enter your choices into the scantron you will be quick.

Develop habits that help you shave seconds.  Have your own notes/markings for what you think is important.  Practice them and be consistent.  Write yourself a key to use when practicing if that helps you.