Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just finished 1L at Toledo and wanted to share some thoughts ...  (Read 7594 times)

homegr0wn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just finished 1L at Toledo and wanted to share some thoughts ...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 08:53:43 AM »
Great post. Did you attain the >3.3 GPA and keep your scholarship? Did you get any offers to intern during your summer after 1L?

Toledo2011

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
Great post. Did you attain the >3.3 GPA and keep your scholarship? Did you get any offers to intern during your summer after 1L?

Yes, I was fortunate enough to keep my scholarship. I hope to be ranked in the top 10 to 15 percent. I'm interning locally with a judge this summer and it's a great experience both from the perspective of seeing how the system works and for getting a chance to do real-world legal writing.

homegr0wn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
Do you have any hints/tips for doing well at UT? Did you read any books that were helpful in preparing for 1L and/or exams?

Congrats on the internship.

Toledo2011

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
Do you have any hints/tips for doing well at UT? Did you read any books that were helpful in preparing for 1L and/or exams?

Congrats on the internship.

I read the Turow book and "Getting to Maybe", but I can't point to either one and say they really helped me.

My biggest hint/tip would be simply that the students at the top of the class are not the students who are going out on Thursday and Friday night or looking for a bf/gf or mailing it in for the first half of the semester and trying to make up work over the last months. The students who excel tend to start preparing for finals immediately, i.e. memorizing and working on outlines form Day 1.

And, no, I did not fall into that category initially.

As an aside, someone pointed out to me this thread which identifies Toledo as the second-most generous law school in American when it comes to scholarship awards based on 2008 ABA data:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71863&p=1764332&hilit=toledo#p1764332