Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hornbooks and commercial outlines?  (Read 1736 times)

MuMuGuy

• View Profile
How many hornbooks and commercial outlines?
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
How many hornbooks and commercial outlines should people use for each of their 1L classes? Thanks

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many hornbooks and commercial outlines?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:33:56 PM »
I suggest getting outlines from students who had your professors last year. Save your money and skip all the hornbooks (unless, at the end of ConLaw, you need to buy something, in which case, get Chemerinsky). 

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:49:50 PM »
check out the concise horn book series. they are good, much more reliable than emanuel or the other commercial outlines plus they are a quick read. However, these do not provide enough info to directly study out off but will nail home all of the major points.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 04:12:14 AM »
Glannon for Civ Pro is useful.

Torts I didn't use anything.

I had Emanuel's for Ks and ConLaw and I think they actually messed me up rather than helped me...too much useless information.

This semester all I sued was the Civ Pro E&E, didn't hit it very hard and mostly just to use the questions for review.

I had Dressler supplement for Crim, tried to read it but it basically just reiterates the MPC and common law or majority rules, which were given to us in class.

If you're going to buy anything, I'd suggest the Civ Pro E&E. Go for other things as you determine you actually need them.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:25 AM »
As many as you need.  Wait until class starts to buy supplements.  I made the mistake of stocking up first semester before I even stepped foot in the classroom, and I barely cracked some of the books.  Your Prof might recommend a certain supplement, or someone who has had that Prof before might tell you about one that covers the subject the way your Prof does.  Either way, wait.

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
I agree you should probably wait until classes start. Although there are benefits to buying now (you can usually get a lower price on amazon or ebay because the damand isn't as high), you might find yourself with a shelf full of books you never even crack open either because you don't need to or you just don't have time because you bought 5 outlines for 1 class.

If you are determined to start buying now, ones I would recommend that probably are not a bad investment either way are Glannon's E&E for Civ Pro and as previously mentioned Chemerinsky for Con Law.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »
As many as you need.  Wait until class starts to buy supplements.  I made the mistake of stocking up first semester before I even stepped foot in the classroom, and I barely cracked some of the books.  Your Prof might recommend a certain supplement, or someone who has had that Prof before might tell you about one that covers the subject the way your Prof does.  Either way, wait.

Yeah, I did the same thing.  I didn't need most of the books.   :-\