Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement vs. Statement of Purpose  (Read 3919 times)

spacecadet

• View Profile
Personal Statement vs. Statement of Purpose
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »
I read Anna Ivey's Guide to Law School and my head is spinning around her advice on the Personal Statement and what other people seem to be telling me. In her book she says that the PS is more like a "get to know the applicant" sort of an essay and one shouldn't write a "Why I should be going to law school" essay -- that's what the Statement of Purpose is intended for.

So, I wrote a statement that does not touch the "I want to go to law school because..." avenue. I sent it off to be proof read and my friends told me that it's written well but I should really include why I want to go to law school.

If a school only wants a PS and not a Statement of Purpose should I include a "why I want to go to law school" aspect to the PS? Or should I listen to Ivey and leave it out. All her examples of "good personal statements" don't mention in the slightest form why the writer wants to go to law school.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeit

• Sr. Citizen
  • It is.
    • ICQ Messenger - 526149
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Statement vs. Statement of Purpose
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »
I wouldn't go out of my way to intentionally leave it out. But I wouldn't worry too much if the law school purpose doesn't flow well with the personal statement either. The PS is a subjective piece, being read by a random person with their own subjective interpretation. That said, a good PS, like a good song or good recipe, will be good.

I always hated the question "So why do you want to be a lawyer?" I'm in the summer between 2L and 3L and only recently found the answer. It's because I want to play life at the big table.

DiscussLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Personal Statement vs. Statement of Purpose
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:53:44 PM »
Good going with your PS.