Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first two years?  (Read 567 times)

summercat

• View Profile
first two years?
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:31 AM »
I have heard that law schools will ignore if you had a bad first two years if you last two or three are great? and as long as your lsat is very competitive

is this true

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: first two years?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »
Well, law schools do look at trends in your grades, but the only thing that really matters is your overall GPA because that is what they have to report.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: first two years?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:40 AM »
Picture these two scenarios:

Scenario 1: Two students have the exact same GPA (let's say a 3.00).  Student A has consistently demonstrated this GPA... his average semester has about 3-4 Bs and 1-2 As and Cs.  Student B was a slower starter.  His first couple of years, he got mostly Cs, the occasional B, and the occasional D.  After realizing his "purpose in life", he kicks things into gear and makes straight As for his remaining two years.  His final GPA is a 3.00.  If you are a college admissions officer, which do you pick?

Scenario 2: Student B, from the earlier example is applying to another school as well.  His competitor is Student C, an all-around excellent student.  Student C has been consistent throughout college, and his GPA is a 3.8.  Student B's GPA is still a 3.00.  Who do you pick now?

I wrote all of that to demonstrate that the story behind your GPA counts... if you are competiting against someone with similar numbers.  However, a college is going to look out for its best interests, which entails picking the higher numbers.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN