Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How MOTIVATED are YOU???  (Read 1236 times)

lsat lifer

• This is why I wont give up
    • View Profile
    • Follow the lsat lifer
    • Email
How MOTIVATED are YOU???
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »
LOL... probably a bad place to ask this question, because most of you wouldn't be populating this place if you weren't. Still, I've found that not all those who say they are motivated really are, and I know this because I was that person, 3 times over. NO MORE!

I'm an under-performer on the LSAT. 3 official lsats, all below 150 (last PT was 153), but since I've realized that beating this test is something I really, TRULY want to do, I've placed myself in  "PUSH IT" mode, and am looking to kick all kinds of LSAT butt this summer. For the first time in the last 3 years, I'm settled in for the summer and finally have the time to get deep into the material, and I'm looking for like-minded individuals, who are planning to take the September LSAT (preferably) or later.

I'm establishing a virtual TEAM environment for very motivated folks who are willing to put in VERY hard work to make this summer a huge LSAT success come the end of September. The idea is to have 6 to 7 people per team to keep the efficiency of the collaborative learning process manageable. So far, we're still working on our first team (3 more teammates needed for Team I).

If we gain enough members for more than 1 team, then subsequent teams will use the same structure as Team I and will be responsible for its 6-7 members. Team I will assist in getting these teams organized but will leave up to individual team leaders how to proceed based on its teammates' preferences. The structure was created such that each team members has responsibilities to the team, and this is just so we know that everyone is doing their part, for the team's success, and perhaps more importantly, for their individual success.

I am currently working on a general study agenda but it cannot be set in stone until TEAM I is complete (I'd like the team to contibrute suggestions to it before its finalized). We're hoping to get people who have at least taken their initial diagnostic before we close each group. We're using Powerscore study materials (just the bibles and any others you need individually)as the basis of learning, and we'll proceed throughout the summer with dicussion on approach to different question types, detailed PT review. we'll even be paying due attention to stress management and maintaining healthy habits throughout the summer, and will be keeping teammates informed about the application process and law school research.

IMPORTANT: This is not a group of LSAT experts though we do have a couple of professionals watching over our progress and providing help in their free time.

If you've got facebook and if you're almost TOO MOTIVATED, then please check out the group description and recent news here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=89415966476. If it's something you can devote real time to, please request to join. If you have any questions, please pm me.

Study groups are very difficult to maintain, so I'm hoping that by keeping each team small, we can overcome this. But thus far our main obstacle is finding really motivated people.

Thanks for reading!
I think I can beat it. I think I can beat it. I think I can beat it.

my blog: http://lsatlifer.blogspot.com/

mdbutler71

• View Profile
Re: How MOTIVATED are YOU???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
You're putting together a "team?"  This may be the root of your problem...  devote more time to studying and less time is research and development of "teams."

Good luck.

lsat lifer

• View Profile
    • Follow the lsat lifer
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
thanks for the insight. Still, I find it difficult to imagine how "unreasonable" it could be to reach out to motivated folks who'd like to contribute their insights from their LSAT prep to others who are willing to pay attention to him/her. lol. wow.

Studying, I'm doing. A team won't stop that. But with the right people, it can certainly enhance it. It really is just that simple for me.

Good luck to you as well, if you're preparing this summer too :-).

lsatbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
September test be hardest ever.

slavoj zizek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
I hate to be a debbie downer, but I would feel remiss if I didn't suggest to you that taking the LSAT for a fourth time (following three similar results) is a fool's errand. I understand your sentiment of wanting to beat the test and thus prove your capability, but as Johnny Cash said, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em."

Inasmuch as improvement can and does occur on the LSAT, there definitely exists a point of diminishing returns, which I think one will have reached after sitting for three offical examinations. Of course, maybe a 2 or 3 point increase would vindicate the many hours you invest to prepare, but it seems to me that you could find a better use for your time because of the marginal returns expected from such a significant time investment.

mdbutler71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »
Johnny Cash did not say that....  It was Kenny Rogers...

lsat lifer

• View Profile
    • Follow the lsat lifer
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:34 AM »
not that I really need to defend this to anyone... (this is the only caution I'd wave in your suggesting such things to people you don't know anything about), I understand that you may think that maybe I wasn't aware of the DMR of repeatedly taking the LSAT (I am, btw), so I don't mind shedding some light. Despite my scores, I'm actually pretty reasonable. lol. And I've spoken to the hightest ranked law school's (on my list) Dean of Admissions to which I plan to apply. So I'm in-the-know.

The bottom line is that in my previous sittings, I hadn't put all my cards on the table. I prepared too loosely. Not intentionally, but I was simultaneously doing too many other things to strengthen my app.  That was not the optimal thing to do for law school prep in hindsight, but I rather have the uphill battle of explaining to law school adcoms why I've got one good score and a few bad ones rather than going through life feeling like I didn't do enough to get the score I needed. Just that simple. I have otherwise excellent credentials, so this is the last piece...lol a critical one, I know, but I've never been one to miss out on life-changing opportunities.

So my only focus this summer is the LSAT and I'm surrounding myself with people that think LSAT all the time!

You all are more than welcome to continue sharing your opinions and insights. It's adding fuel to my fire!

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
i am born and bred for SUCESS and ACHIEVEMENT

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
September test be hardest ever.

Certainly hope not, that's the one I signed up for!

as far as how motivated, I have to do well since that my grades as an undergrad were not horrible, but they certainly show I didn't know what I was doing at the time.  My graduate stuff at least is different.  Either way though, I must do well on that test.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
Not very, now in law school or when I was taking the LSAT.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.