Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Transfers: class of 2011 thread: Housing, Scheduling, DC Questions...  (Read 11256 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Early Interview Week Information
EIW bidding May 29 - July 24
EIW orientation and last minute interview give-away - August 22
EIW August 24 - August 28

We are supposed to receive information on how to use Symplicity sometime in early June. I don't have a student id or anything to get into Symplicity yet.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thanks!
Proving there is redemption in this world...

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone started playing around with Symplicity and EIW bidding yet? 

onechu82

• View Profile
Do any of you guys know anything about housing there? I know it's pretty expensive in D.C. area.  I am looking to live fairly close by to school and pay around $1K/month or less for a studio or 1-bedroom.

Any help is appreciated.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Do any of you guys know anything about housing there? I know it's pretty expensive in D.C. area.  I am looking to live fairly close by to school and pay around $1K/month or less for a studio or 1-bedroom.

Any help is appreciated.

An English basement in the capital hill neighborhood is the only way you are going to be able to do  that without roommates (not a bad option, but lack of natural light can be a downer).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anybody here apply from F/T to P/T? Just curious if they'd let someone in for that. I do have compelling reasons for it.

deexod

• View Profile
This is probably a little off topic in here but since it is based on GULC I figure it would work well here. I am considering applying for RD, but have unease about the possibility of acceptance which is why I didn't apply EA. First semester 3.4 second semester 4.0, cumulative 3.7. Top 8% after first semester. I attend a T4. Any opinions or suggestions since you are all already in.... ???

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Does the DC Metro have a monthly pass, student rates, or does everyone pay per trip?

nifer327

• View Profile
    • LSN
You can purchase a card and put X dollars on it.  I don't believe there is any student or monthly discount.  I may be wrong though!

Has anyone met with their OCS counselor yet?  Gone to any of the "interviewing" sessions?  I feel like I should be doing more for the bidding process, but I'm too caught up in my current transfer apps, regardless of the very little chance I have of getting in anywhere else. 

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I met over the phone with my counselor, who seemed surprisingly optimistic both in regards to our chances (as transfer students) at OCI and our chances locking up a 2L summer associate position in general (considering the bottom is dropping out on the economy).  She looked up rising 3Ls and graduated students who had transferred to GULC from my current school in the past and most were working at biglaw, which was relieving.  I thought, as transfer students, we might have a scarlet T on our chests at OCI, however she claims this is not true and this may even be a bit opposite from reality.  Further, if you just read abovethelaw.com you would think we should drop out now because no firm is going to show up to OCI.  However she said that participation is only down less than 20% from last year, which I found quite surprising.  All and all a pretty pleasant experience.

It is good to know they keep tabs on transfers and what they end up doing.  It is frustrating trying to get basic statistics from my current OCS office or many of the schools that I have applied to as a transfer.

Do you know how many offices are interviewing at GULC this year?  I didn't think the 110 page list we received had more than 400 offices, which is quite a bit less than 80% of the firms listed in NALP.  Mine 400 figure is just a rough estimation, though...