Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Transfers: class of 2011 thread: Housing, Scheduling, DC Questions...  (Read 10818 times)

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

Miguel Bain

• View Profile
Howdy, I lived in DC for a year and I may be going there for school - got in but need to weigh a few more options as far as transferring.  It's at the judiciary square metro stop; if you plan on living anywhere near school it will be very expensive.  Not sure where the law students hang out but lots of drinking going on in Adams Morgan and Georgetown (not where the law school is, despite the name.)  I don't have time to write much more right now but I just wanted to say congratulations and I look forward to meeting you!

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm also curious about these questions, but am also concerned about being able to keep one or two large dogs within reasonable proximity to the school.

GULCHope

• View Profile
I would say if cost is an issue, you should consider buying a bicycle and living in the Capitol Hill or Eastern Market areas. Lots of young hill staffers in the area, rent (compared to the rest of the city) is reasonable. Cost is funny here though--though neighborhoods have different average rents, the real driver is proximity to a metro stop. So you can live in a great area, but if you're a 20 minute walk to the closest metro, that will do a lot to drive down the rent. 1 Bedrooms are going to run in the 900-1800 range, depending on where you are, but most will be in the 1300-1500 range.

As I'm sure you all know, but just to say it again--Georgetown law school is NOT close to Georgetown the neighborhood, which is where the undergrads are. Georgetown the neighborhood is a bit shi shi, very very very expensive, and NOT near a metro stop (I know that seems to go against what I wrote above).

Most popular neighborhoods: adams morgan ($$), Cleaveland Park/Woodley Park ($$), Columbia heights/Mount Pleasant/Petworth ($), U-Street ($$$), Georgetown ($$$), Eastern Market/Capitol Hill ($).

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Living:

Expensive/Nice: Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle/Georgetown/Mass ave. apts across from school ($1,500+ for a studio)
Middle: Shaw/Northern Virginia ($1000-$1500)
Cheap: Capital Hill: (Share a rowhouse for $700-$1300)
Dirtbagging it: NY Avenue/Farther NE (as cheap as $450/month for something basically in the projects)

If you are bringing dogs the Capital Hill rowhouse option is probably a good one- many landlords will allow dogs. Capital hill tends to have small-time landlords who are more flexible than big property management companies. Buy a bike and your commute will be less than 10 minutes.

Generally speaking: be wary of apartment ads that are rather loose with their area descriptions. Many ads will list places as far as the stadium/armory stop as "Capital Hill". Anything farther east than 14th st (ish) or farther north than K-st NE is NOT capital hill.

Eats: Chinatown is the closest restaurant strip to GULC (5-10 min walk). Good mix of cheap counter service and nice places. Adams Morgan and U-Street are good for nicer restaurants.
Music scene: Lots of good Jazz venues. Twins Jazz on U street is highly recommended. Don't know about more big name stuff
Sports: The nationals are fun to watch for their hilariously bad playing. Games are cheap to go to. Same can be said about the wizards (who play in verizon center a short walk from school). If Hokey is your thing the Capitals also play there (and I think they are actually good).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Browser

• View Profile
Thanks to the upper year at GULC for giving advice.  What would you say about somewhere like Glover Park or up towards Tenleytown?  I know that's in NW DC and closer to AU.  Would you advocate living there (or, moving from there) while attending GULC?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I transferred to Georgetown last year and I live in an apartment building called Senate Square, which is right behind Union Station. It is within walking distance to the law school and is basically brand new. It's a bit pricey, but it does allow pets. I believe you can get a 1br for somewhere in the $1700/month range right now (with specials, etc.). The rent is about the same as Mass Court, but it's quite a bit nicer. My wife and I looked at Mass Court and weren't impressed at all.

win45

• View Profile
I transferred to Georgetown last year and I live in an apartment building called Senate Square, which is right behind Union Station. It is within walking distance to the law school and is basically brand new. It's a bit pricey, but it does allow pets. I believe you can get a 1br for somewhere in the $1700/month range right now (with specials, etc.). The rent is about the same as Mass Court, but it's quite a bit nicer. My wife and I looked at Mass Court and weren't impressed at all.

Senate Square is AWESOME.  I could not get my roomates to move there because the area is kind of up and coming and sketchy.  But wow what a nice apartment building. 

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
Everybody getting their deposit in?

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do you guys who have been admitted happen to know when OCI dates are for Gtown, as far as getting onto symplicity to sign up?
Proving there is redemption in this world...