Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School applications minimum of 10 maximum of 20?  (Read 773 times)

FortheDefense

• Time means nothing in infinity and jelly dougnuts.
    • View Profile
Law School applications minimum of 10 maximum of 20?
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
I read somewhere that you can apply to too many schools and that some schools look down on this.Is there a rule of thumb for law school applicants that are tier 3 and 4? In reviewing some of the lawschoolnumbers.com website, I see people applying to a zillion schools and get rejected on a quite a few with numbers that should be able to back door them into an institution. Thanks for comments!

"I could have gotten a conviction on Simpson's police statement alone!"
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School applications minimum of 10 maximum of 20?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »
I applied to something around 13 and was fine.

For people with shakey numbers, I see no problem with a shotgun approach. I don't think schools care very much about how many other places you apply to as long they think you might actually attend their school (see: people with LSATs in the 160s that have to write letters to Cooley telling them why they want to go there). You only get to do this once, so you might as well cover your bases.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
I, too, applied to 13 or 14.  It's fine to apply to a lot of schools.  It'd be expensive due to the application fees, but if you can afford it, why not cast a wider net?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:04:04 AM »
I, too, applied to 13 or 14.  It's fine to apply to a lot of schools.  It'd be expensive due to the application fees, but if you can afford it, why not cast a wider net?

Which reminds me, call and ask for app fee waivers. Some places will just give you one when you ask, and some will just make you fill out something saying you're an impoverished college student. I think I paid about $150-200 in app fees and had at least that much in fees waived.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Keep in mind that some schools want to see that you are actually interested. So if they give you the option of writing a 'why X law school' essay, then write it (if you want to go, obviously). Even if they don't explicitly give the option, a short 'why X' essay is still appropriate. Admissions peeps know how easy it is to apply to lots of schools and may just reject you if no connection is apparent. To me, this is the only downside (besides cost) of applying to a lot of schools: it's hard to tailor your applications to specific schools.