Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago Kent ($20K) v Akron (full ride) v ???  (Read 667 times)

jdmaybe

• View Profile
Chicago Kent ($20K) v Akron (full ride) v ???
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
So, I have tier one numbers, imo:  169 LSAT, 3.07 GPA. 

I got waitlisted at OSU, my top choice.  If I get in off the waitlist (and I assume it's unlikely) I'll definitely be going there. 

I'm still waiting to hear from two other t1 schools, but not too hopeful at this point. 

So, I am accepted at Chicago-Kent w/ 20k/year and Akron w/ 21k/year.  Basically half tuition at Kent v full ride at Akron.  T2 v T3.  I do plan on working in Columbus OH after grad and was accepted to Capital as well w/ 25k, but its t4.

I applied late which is what killed me at OSU. 

If I wait a year I will definitely get in at OSU. 

Option 1:  Kent for fall?

Option 2:  Akron for fall?

Option 3:  wait till next year and go to OSU or other t1 school, prob w/ some $?

I suppose transferring after 1L is a fourth option as well?...

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Kent ($20K) v Akron (full ride) v ???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
If you don't get off the wait list sit this year out and reapply to OSU early in the cycle. Make it clear to them now, and again in the fall if needed, that they are your top choice.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
i would push for a better school: i got into illinois (scholarship) with lower numbers

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
While a full ride is certainly enticing (trust me, six-figure debt isn't fun), getting into the better law school is more worthwhile because you have a better chance at getting a higher-paying job when you graduate.  I recommend waiting until next year, applying EARLY, and going to OSU (or a better school if you apply elsewhere). 

You have a VERY GOOD LSAT score, by the way.  Why not apply to Harvard Law?

-The Harvard Guy
http://howtogetintoharvardlawschool.com

jdmaybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
If you don't get off the wait list sit this year out and reapply to OSU early in the cycle. Make it clear to them now, and again in the fall if needed, that they are your top choice.

Yeah, this is probably what I'm going to do.  Waiting tables for a year or whatever will suck, but it will be worth it. 

While a full ride is certainly enticing (trust me, six-figure debt isn't fun), getting into the better law school is more worthwhile because you have a better chance at getting a higher-paying job when you graduate.  I recommend waiting until next year, applying EARLY, and going to OSU (or a better school if you apply elsewhere). 

You have a VERY GOOD LSAT score, by the way.  Why not apply to Harvard Law?

-The Harvard Guy
http://howtogetintoharvardlawschool.com

Thanks.  Idk about applying to Harvard Law, lol.  I hadn't even thought of applying to any t14s - at least not for this cycle.

Btw, I worked my ASS off to get that score.  AND dropped a thousand bucks on a prep course.  I won't even mention my previous score, but let's just say my improvement might be a record, LOL.