Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida International University  (Read 3027 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Florida International University
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
Yea that is what has really caught my attention is the 9,000 dollar a year tuition.  I just want to be sure the campus is in a good part of Miami and has a reputable program.  I at least now MSU is a popular school if nothing else for their affilation in the Big 10 and that East Lansing will be a safe comfortable town except for the intense cold.  Still at a crossroads, but I am beginning to lean towards FIU.   

Don't be too amused by the low tuition, there is a reason for that. Phoenix Law school is in a great city as well, I'm sure they would throw 100% tuition at you if a low cost T-4 is what you are looking for. MSU is the second law school of choice in their state, while FIU comes after Miami, UF, FSU, Stetson, and all those Ivey League schools who seems to send a lot of their graduates to Miami.

What you said above is some what or mostly true, but $60K more for MSU? 

What I want to know is why did the original poster not apply to University of Mississippi, University of Arkansas, South Carolina University, and Texas Tech?  If you can get into MSU, you have a chance at any of those four. 

Jessicastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »

Out of the T4 schools, I like it because of the same reasons I picked it for undergrad. It was in a big city, and diverse with a focus on international affairs, which could help you in finding a job or internship with an international company. Also good for comparative/international law. Networking is big there, and they have a large alumni group.

This is clearly the advice from someone who's not a law student (for more than two years) or a lawyer, so just ignore it.  If you're a 2L/3L or an attorney, you will see how naive that statement is. 
[/quote]

But I never said anything about law employment opportunities. I said international. I don't think it's naive. It's true and I took advantage of it while I was there. It is a school that places emphasis on international affairs, and goes out of its way to give students a chance to take advantage of employment opportunities that have an international angle.

It has nothing to do with being a 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, or a lawyer. It has to do with what the school had to offer, and since I attended the school and took advantage of it, I was just giving my opinion. No other assumptions.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 01:52:13 AM »

Out of the T4 schools, I like it because of the same reasons I picked it for undergrad. It was in a big city, and diverse with a focus on international affairs, which could help you in finding a job or internship with an international company. Also good for comparative/international law. Networking is big there, and they have a large alumni group.

This is clearly the advice from someone who's not a law student (for more than two years) or a lawyer, so just ignore it.  If you're a 2L/3L or an attorney, you will see how naive that statement is. 

But I never said anything about law employment opportunities. I said international. I don't think it's naive. It's true and I took advantage of it while I was there. It is a school that places emphasis on international affairs, and goes out of its way to give students a chance to take advantage of employment opportunities that have an international angle.

It has nothing to do with being a 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, or a lawyer. It has to do with what the school had to offer, and since I attended the school and took advantage of it, I was just giving my opinion. No other assumptions.
[/quote]

People who cares about the "experience" of some internship that will not lead to any job is just naive. 

After reading what you wrote, some naive pre-law kids are going to think "hey, maybe if I attend FIU, I will be doing international law at some international firm right after I graduate from FIU law." 

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 07:28:57 AM »

[/quote]

Are there a lot of 5L's at FIU?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »

Are there a lot of 5L's at FIU?
[/quote]

Wondering about the "5L" thing myself.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.