Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida International University  (Read 3110 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Florida International University
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
FIU. Far from the best school in Florida, but cheap and respectable enough. And it's in Florida, which totally beats the poo out of Michigan.

If the original poster wants to end up in Atlanta or Texas, MSU would clearly be a better choice.  Three years go by really fast and you're attending law school and going on vacation.  This, ofcourse, is based on no significant cost differences. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
I could think of worse places to end up than Miami and the debt is what scares me the most about MSU.  MSU is around 30,000 a year so 90,000 in tuition alone at MSU where FIU will be 24,000 for 1L then 9,000 for second and third year so it is literally half the cost .  If FIU has a decent reputation and people find employment from there I will probably attend. I had a full ride to La Verne, but they are not even improved and their bar passage rates and attrition were horrible so I couldn't go there.  FIU's numbers look a lot better than La Verne, but I still  weary of a tier 4 school.

Regarding where I want to work  at the moment ideally I would like to go into JAG or work for the federal government at some level.  I don't know which school would be better for that.  I appreciate people's responses regarding MSU or FIU thanks.   

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
I have a quick question. I have been accepted by U of Miami, Florida Coastal and FIU. Both Costal and FIU have offered me over $30,000 scholarship. Should I still choose Miami over these schools. Money is a really big concern for me. I know the rankings matter a lot but still thats a lot of money. Do graduates from these schools really do a lot worse than the ones from UMiami? Can someone who is knowledgeable (about Miami and these schools, location, quality of life etc) answer my question? Thank you in advance.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 03:12:04 AM »
I have a quick question. I have been accepted by U of Miami, Florida Coastal and FIU. Both Costal and FIU have offered me over $30,000 scholarship. Should I still choose Miami over these schools. Money is a really big concern for me. I know the rankings matter a lot but still thats a lot of money. Do graduates from these schools really do a lot worse than the ones from UMiami? Can someone who is knowledgeable (about Miami and these schools, location, quality of life etc) answer my question? Thank you in advance.

Miami.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
FIU. Far from the best school in Florida, but cheap and respectable enough. And it's in Florida, which totally beats the poo out of Michigan.

If the original poster wants to end up in Atlanta or Texas, MSU would clearly be a better choice.  Three years go by really fast and you're attending law school and going on vacation.  This, ofcourse, is based on no significant cost differences. 

If cost were the same, MSU would win in my book. However, FIU is an absurdly cheap law school and I don't feel that can possibly be overstated when comparing the two.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
Yea that is what has really caught my attention is the 9,000 dollar a year tuition.  I just want to be sure the campus is in a good part of Miami and has a reputable program.  I at least now MSU is a popular school if nothing else for their affilation in the Big 10 and that East Lansing will be a safe comfortable town except for the intense cold.  Still at a crossroads, but I am beginning to lean towards FIU.   

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »

If cost were the same, MSU would win in my book. However, FIU is an absurdly cheap law school and I don't feel that can possibly be overstated when comparing the two.

This can be a hard one.  5 years ago, when the economy and the legal market were doing well, FIU might be good.  But, there is so much competition in South Florida.  All the big law jobs go to the Ivy graduates who want to be in South Florida or thos top 10% kids from UF/FSU/UM.  Mid law goes to top 20% of UF/FSU/UM kids.  Small law firm jobs that pay less than 50K go to top 50% of UF/FSU/UM kids and some go to top students from Nova, FIU, and St. Thomas kids.  What's left?  If you're at the middle of the class at FIU, chance are, you won't be employed for a long time after graduation as an attorney if ever.  

Is MSU much better?  No.  It's only slightly better.  But, it has a "national" name and someone graduated from there might still have a chance at small firms in Atlanta/Texas/TN, etc., but someone from FIU, don't count on it, because virtually no one has heard of that school outside of Florida.  

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
That's my predicament I guess is MSU that much better than FIU.  I mean it will end up costing 60,000 or so more dollars.  I would love it if some of my waitlists came through then this decision would be so much easier.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 02:05:39 PM »
Yea that is what has really caught my attention is the 9,000 dollar a year tuition.  I just want to be sure the campus is in a good part of Miami and has a reputable program.  I at least now MSU is a popular school if nothing else for their affilation in the Big 10 and that East Lansing will be a safe comfortable town except for the intense cold.  Still at a crossroads, but I am beginning to lean towards FIU.   

Don't be too amused by the low tuition, there is a reason for that. Phoenix Law school is in a great city as well, I'm sure they would throw 100% tuition at you if a low cost T-4 is what you are looking for. MSU is the second law school of choice in their state, while FIU comes after Miami, UF, FSU, Stetson, and all those Ivey League schools who seems to send a lot of their graduates to Miami.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
I was just admitted here and I have been planning on going to MSU, but seeing how much cheaper FIU will be has me interested.  I still don't know very much about the school and I wondered if anyone had visited or knew anything about the school.  The internet seems to have very mixed reviews and I would just like the opinion of anyone who is attending or visited the school. 

FIU is definitely on the map now athletic wise. It is getting alot of attention because they just hired Isaiah Thomas as their head basketball coach.

They are not on the map athletic wise. Their team will still suck a$$ in every sport, doesn't matter who their coach is.