Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida International University  (Read 3046 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Florida International University
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »
I was just admitted here and I have been planning on going to MSU, but seeing how much cheaper FIU will be has me interested.  I still don't know very much about the school and I wondered if anyone had visited or knew anything about the school.  The internet seems to have very mixed reviews and I would just like the opinion of anyone who is attending or visited the school. 

Jessicastorm

• View Profile
Re: Florida International University
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »
I graduated from FIU undergrad, but lived near the law school (a pretty new giant building) and some of the people in my residence hall went to the law school and had their own little group there...

...From what they had told me, the school is new, but it isn't clueless. The school leads the state in bar passage rate, and last year it came in 2nd. It has been around for six years, but has the highest passage rate, while FAMU (another T4) has been around longer, but has the lowest rate in the state. So the school is ambitious. The kids in my building said the school had a good job placement rate in the Miami/South Florida area, but according to this article http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/schools/sfl-fiu-bar-exams-p042609pnapr27,0,6247943.story they're placing graduates, but not right after graduation.

Out of the T4 schools, I like it because of the same reasons I picked it for undergrad. It was in a big city, and diverse with a focus on international affairs, which could help you in finding a job or internship with an international company. Also good for comparative/international law. Networking is big there, and they have a large alumni group.

The school is beautiful, close proximity to a lot of places, and the people were always nice. My professors were always helpful and open. The downside is that even though FIU is big, it's still somewhat of a commuter school, and people who didn't live on campus didn't have a lot of school spirit. Also, because of state budget cuts, FIU is also cutting programs (even though the university is growing). They want to be up there with UF and FSU, but they don't understand that if they keep cutting things, they'll never get there. And Miami can be kind of expensive too.

It's one of the schools I'm planning on applying to, and it's a back-up if I don't get into my top choices. I loved my time there.

Hope I could help.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
FIU. Far from the best school in Florida, but cheap and respectable enough. And it's in Florida, which totally beats the *&^% out of Michigan.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »
I don't know where MSU is ranked, but if it's higher than FIU (I believe it is), go to MSU.  FIU is a brand new law school.  I'm from Miami and know a lot about it and about FIU the school (I had friends and family attend there).  It's probably better to go to a more established and higher-ranked school than FIU.  Bar passage rates are misleading because, after all, passing the bar depends on how much you study for it and whether you apply yourself.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:43:13 AM »
MSU is ranked higher, but it is still tier 3.  The tuition at FIU is what has me most interested.  If I can get residency which I am told by the school I can I will only pay 9,000 and some change in tuition for the last two years. However, if FIU has a bad rap I would rather go to MSU I would love to hear more thoughts on both schools if anyone else has more advice. 

FortheDefense

• Time means nothing in infinity and jelly dougnuts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:57:49 AM »
I was just admitted here and I have been planning on going to MSU, but seeing how much cheaper FIU will be has me interested.  I still don't know very much about the school and I wondered if anyone had visited or knew anything about the school.  The internet seems to have very mixed reviews and I would just like the opinion of anyone who is attending or visited the school. 

FIU is definitely on the map now athletic wise. It is getting alot of attention because they just hired Isaiah Thomas as their head basketball coach.
"I could have gotten a conviction on Simpson's police statement alone!"
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »
While FIU may be getting attention athletic-wise, its law school is what's at issue here.  If it were me, I'd go to MSU.  FIU still has ways to go.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
Well I am a 6'8 center who played in college and has a year of eligiblity left. Maybe Isiah can use me for one year and I can be the first D1 athlete/law student.   It is law school  though and I don't know how important Isiah's hiring is to my law career.  It is cool he is there though.  Thankfully I got a bit more time to decide, if anybody has any more articles/info regarding either school I would love to hear it.  Or if anyone knows any current students or alumni at either school it would be cool to get there e-mails.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
While FIU may be getting attention athletic-wise, its law school is what's at issue here.  If it were me, I'd go to MSU.  FIU still has ways to go.

If you want to be in South Florida and nowhere else, go to FIU. If you're want someplace else, go to MSU, considering the cost difference is not that significant.

How much more are you going to be in debt comparing SMU to FIU?   Where do you want/need to be after graduation? 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »

...From what they had told me, the school is new, but it isn't clueless. The school leads the state in bar passage rate, and last year it came in 2nd. It has been around for six years, but has the highest passage rate, while FAMU (another T4) has been around longer, but has the lowest rate in the state. So the school is ambitious.

That's like saying, my uncle's restaurant is very high class because its food is considered better quality than Burger King and its dinning room is better McDonald's. 

Out of the T4 schools, I like it because of the same reasons I picked it for undergrad. It was in a big city, and diverse with a focus on international affairs, which could help you in finding a job or internship with an international company. Also good for comparative/international law. Networking is big there, and they have a large alumni group.

This is clearly the advice from someone who's not a law student (for more than two years) or a lawyer, so just ignore it.  If you're a 2L/3L or an attorney, you will see how naive that statement is.