Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I transfer?  (Read 1555 times)

springin05

• View Profile
Should I transfer?
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »
?

LawMan21

• View Profile
Re: Should I transfer?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
If you want to practice on the west coast (and are sure about this), absolutely transfer. If you want to practice where you are, then stay (if you did well, your job prospects will be better for 2L, don't be discouraged so quickly) . If you want to practice in the midwest, transfer somewhere else. Thus, if you are not at a top school, go to a region where you will end up.

-What school are you thinking about transferring to. That may change my opinion.

springin05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
C

springin05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
Currently in the top 20% of my class.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »
I would transfer.  You'll get two years in the city you want to practice in to network and clerk and get work experience in your community.   

LawMan21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
I would only go to Seattle U if you want to practice on the west coast. If you aren't sure on this, Seattle U would be a mistake. So, just make up your mind where you would rather practice. I would also apply to the University of Washington, which is the school that makes the most sense. I am not sure your exact chances, but it is possible.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »
If you seriously want to practice in Seattle, then transfer.  There really isn't anything to think about here, as NESL is completely unknown on the West Coast unless you can find an alum or two.  More importantly, you have very little opportunity to network in the market you want to work in.

beaverfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
I echo the comments suggesting a transfer if Seattle is where you want to practice. The Pacific NW legal markets are extremely small and difficult to break into. Getting your name out in the area will be infinitely more useful than even the jump in rankings.

Seattle Univ. is a very respected school in the area.