Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer conditional program  (Read 13716 times)

Flo2k

• View Profile
Summer conditional program
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »
I have been excepted to the summer conditional program at st.Thomas university in miami.  I know that 20% of the students will be accepted to the law school and that it is 3 weeks long.  Does any one have any more information on this program?  Has anyone in this forum actually gone to this program and get accepted?

Thank You

iamamouse

• View Profile
Re: Summer conditional program
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
Areyou still looking for information concerning this subject?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
I have been excepted to the summer conditional program at st.Thomas university in miami.  I know that 20% of the students will be accepted to the law school and that it is 3 weeks long.  Does any one have any more information on this program?  Has anyone in this forum actually gone to this program and get accepted?

Thank You

St. Thomas isn't worth attending to begin with.  If you are so below average on LSAT and GPA that you are "conditionally admitted," then it's time to accept the fact that you shouldn't be going to law school.

I'm so tired of these money making schools admitting anybody with a checkbook and a pulse.  It's the reason the market is flooded. 

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:40:36 AM »
Do not listen to THEDUDE.  He's obviously an immature, YOUNG, inexperienced IN THE REAL WORLD, wet behind the ears, VIRGIN, who does'nt have a life outside his crappy one bedroom apartment. Oh he will probably attempt to now convince the board that he currently attends a t1 school with a red carpet rolled out for him when he graduates...ok heard that one before.  Anyway, I have heard of people going into those conditional programs.  If you have the opportunity then take it.  As THEIDIOT...I mean THEDUDE...failed to mention is that your LSAT performance is not an indicator on how you perform IN LAW SCHOOL.  Nor is it an accurate indicator on how much you will make when you graduate.  I know that people will chime in and disagree, but I know for a fact that it is more about who you know.   

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
Do not listen to THEDUDE.  He's obviously an immature, YOUNG, inexperienced IN THE REAL WORLD, wet behind the ears, VIRGIN, who does'nt have a life outside his crappy one bedroom apartment. Oh he will probably attempt to now convince the board that he currently attends a t1 school with a red carpet rolled out for him when he graduates...ok heard that one before.  Anyway, I have heard of people going into those conditional programs.  If you have the opportunity then take it.  As THEIDIOT...I mean THEDUDE...failed to mention is that your LSAT performance is not an indicator on how you perform IN LAW SCHOOL.  Nor is it an accurate indicator on how much you will make when you graduate.  I know that people will chime in and disagree, but I know for a fact that it is more about who you know.   

Don't you feel foolish to find out I'm a non-trad and a vet myself?  I go to school in the evenings and work full-time in a good career for the Feds now.  I was giving my opinion, which obviously bothers you due to some insecurities.

Also, just look at old posts.  I do have a bigfirm job lined up and its well established that I go to GW.

I will agree that LSAT isn't a good indicator of success in law school.  UNFORTUNATELY, it IS an indicator of where you can gain admission, which DOES matter on where your career will take you.  I'm not saying I think it's right, it's just the way it is.

bncounter6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »

Don't you feel foolish to find out I'm a non-trad and a vet myself?  I go to school in the evenings and work full-time in a good career for the Feds now.  I was giving my opinion, which obviously bothers you due to some insecurities.

Also, just look at old posts.  I do have a bigfirm job lined up and its well established that I go to GW.

I will agree that LSAT isn't a good indicator of success in law school.  UNFORTUNATELY, it IS an indicator of where you can gain admission, which DOES matter on where your career will take you.  I'm not saying I think it's right, it's just the way it is.

You have to admit, DudeMan, that your response to the OP was a bit immature and harsh.  The fact that the responder discerned your post as such should have alerted you.  As a former vet myself, I find it rather disappointing that you would shot down someone's dream to go to law school regardless.  This is not who we (as vets) represent and personally we don't represent this type of immature, narcisstic behavior.  What is it about the OP that has you so concerned?  Maybe it's due to your own insecurities perhaps?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »
Someone has to shoot straight around here.  Reality is reality and paying 120k for a crap education at a second rate school is a waste of time and money.  It's also a disservice to future clients.... 

It is what it is.  Take it or leave it.  If you want to blow smoke, get at it.

bncounter6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
Someone has to shoot straight around here.  Reality is reality and paying 120k for a crap education at a second rate school is a waste of time and money.  It's also a disservice to future clients.... 

It is what it is.  Take it or leave it.  If you want to blow smoke, get at it.

Interesting.  Well, I'm not interested in getting into a pissing contest on this.  Either way....for someone with your "GW pedigree and big law pedigree" I just don't understand why you're so concerned about some anonymous online person whose best chance of law school is at a "second rate" law school.  Worst yet, I don't understand the need to step on someone's aspirations.  That person just may end up in law school and possibly surpassing you as an attorney! 

Good luck in your endeavors. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:31:58 AM »
We all know the truth hurts sometimes.  While dudeman maybe could have been less abrasive, he is correct. A minority of students that go to the cash cow schools will end up with respectable jobs. Most will have a hard time getting a job, paying off loans, or moving to different regions. I also agree that the LSAT is by no means a good system, but it is the only one we have.

OP- If you really want to attend law school, don't waste your money on a summer conditional admission. Take an LSAT class and retake the LSAT and get into a respectable school.  While the LSAT sucks, at least it is a completely learnable test. I hate to see these schools sucking money out of people, something should be done about it.

bncounter6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »
We all know the truth hurts sometimes.  While dudeman maybe could have been less abrasive, he is correct. A minority of students that go to the cash cow schools will end up with respectable jobs. Most will have a hard time getting a job, paying off loans, or moving to different regions. I also agree that the LSAT is by no means a good system, but it is the only one we have.

OP- If you really want to attend law school, don't waste your money on a summer conditional admission. Take an LSAT class and retake the LSAT and get into a respectable school.  While the LSAT sucks, at least it is a completely learnable test. I hate to see these schools sucking money out of people, something should be done about it.

SASS, I agree with you to an extent.  Biglaw is pretty much out of reach for a lot of non T14 graduates.  What people need to realize is that not everyone goes to law school in the hopes of going to BIGLAW.  Some may have a desire to solely go JAG or work in non profit or even start their own practice.  And some of those individuals may also be bound to their local community due to their jobs, families, etc and the only available law school is perhaps a Tier 3/4 school. 

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't paint all perspective law students under a broad brush. 

OP, I really would encourage you to try an get an acceptance into a law school.  But if the summer admission program is your best chance then I would caution you on this.  One thing they don't tell you is that if you don't make it through their program then it can hurt you for future applications should you apply to law school again.