Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Does anyone know anything about the summer conditional program?

1 (25%)
 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: St Thomas University Miami  (Read 5033 times)

Stephanie5817

• View Profile
Re: St Thomas University Miami
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
I was able to sit in on Property and Torts back in March. Both Deans were extremely helpful and the classes were suprisingly interesting. Had a choice between Nova and St Thomas for conditional (due to a very unfortunate LSAT score). Although Nova has better reputation, something about the enviornment and student teacher interaction drew me to St Thomas.

I really believe (after doing much research) that if you give this program 150 % and go into it with a positive attitude that you will make it through.  :D

Flo2k

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »
I have been studying my ass off for this class.  I too am a victim of a poor lsat grade.  I am still waiting for the response of two other schools, cuny law and turo law.  But at the moment im acting as st thomas is my only chance.  Im flying down to miami in a few days.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 04:34:37 AM »
Good luck to both of you.  I hope to see you both in the Fall.

GO BOBCATS!!  ;D

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
Getting rejected from St. Thomas would be the best thing that ever happened to you guys.  Alumni from the University of Miami are finding it extremely difficult to find a job (not just in this economy but for the last 15 years).  Where do you think that leaves St. Thomas grads?  I heard all of this garbage I'm saying to you at your point in the admissions process and disregarded it.  I am top 40% at a MUCH better school than St. Thomas and I wish I would have gone into something that is favorable to more than just grads from the elite schools.  I am a nice person and I am not trying to get you guys down; people say this stuff to you for a reason.  Most grads from lowly law schools end up making their money as a realtor and now there isn't even that opportunity.  If you really want to be a lawyer but you cannot do better on the LSAT, I recommend you bite the bullet and pull out.  Remember, I was in your position.  I know it is hard to tell family and friends that you have changed your mind but that will seem like a small price to pay in a couple of years.  Learn from my mistake instead of going to a school that employers know are a "for profit" business.   

Lex96

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
I'll be happy to meet with you at the STU summer conditional orientation. Don't worry...we will make it!
Take care

Flo2k

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
Hey Lex are you going to be at the orientation on the 5th?

kayem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
I have been studying my ass off for this class.  I too am a victim of a poor lsat grade.  I am still waiting for the response of two other schools, cuny law and turo law.  But at the moment im acting as st thomas is my only chance.  Im flying down to miami in a few days.

Hey, i'm in the exact same boat are u. I'm still waiting on cuny and touro and only got into some out of state schools, St.Thomas Miami being one of them [except i dont have to do the summer program]. I hear the school doesnt have a great reputation but touro and cuny arent that great as well. Let me know how the visit goes and if you get in.

salty827

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 12:26:55 AM »
OK... so i made a grammatical error "anxiety" go pop a Xanax  ;D
Just out of curiosity, is there a better term for the mistake than "grammatical error?"  I can't think of one, but it isn't apparent that if I mean "donut" and I say "suspension bridge" that it is a problem with grammar, whether or not the words are homonyms.

I think the word you are looking for is "malapropism" or "eggcorn".  I don't want to discourage anyone from following their dream but I would rethink attendance at St. Thomas. I go to a high ranking tier-1 school (just outside the T-14) and I have a summer job (pure luck btw) but about half of the 2Ls here are doing non-paid work just to gain some valuable experience. About 20% of the 3Ls are still unemployed.  The market is just not very good right now. However, if you have weighed all the pros and cons and know exactly what you are getting into and have reasonable expectations of what you can get from going to a school like St. Thomas, then I wish you all the best of luck!

Flo2k

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »
so has anyone going to the summer conditional course finish with the week 1 readings?

oldbutgoodlawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
Dont let anyone get you down about going to St. Thomas.  I have been practicing law for over 26 years, have been in my own firm for the last 20 years.   I have two full time associates.  Successful lawyers are those that 1) Prepare 2)Put in the time to learn their area of law  3) put in the extra effort to attend to their client's needs.

You can be highly  successful as a grad from a fourth tier school.  I have represented clients who have graduated from elite law schools that can not practice law, period. 

Just dig hard.  Dig harder than the other guy.  You may wind up in your own firm.You may struggle.  Just keep at it. Get involved with bar associations. Write articles.

If you work your heart out for clients, they will will notice, as will opposing attorneys.

Is it hard?  Hell yes but it is there for you just don't give up and start networking now, while in law school.