Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L scholarships  (Read 3384 times)

abethcop

• View Profile
2L scholarships
« on: May 12, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »
So here is the situation.  Due to life and financial situations I was not able to get my application in until pretty much the last moment.  So funding pretty much went out to everyone and I was left with just loan offers since my app wasn't early enough. 

Say I take the loans for this year, since I don't really have another choice.  Does this screw up my possibilities for funding in 2L and 3L? 
Incoming Lewis & Clark 1L

SwampFox

• View Profile
Re: 2L scholarships
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »
Why not wait until next year and apply early?  If you got a good scholarship, it could save you tens of thousands of dollars.

abethcop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Well, I've been out of school for a few years now with no career going since I've been so indecisive in my graduate work.  The prospect of another year out is a little bothersome as I am ready to be done with school.  Plus, my wife and I want to have kids before too long and having kids while both of us are trying to finish school is much more brutal than I really would like.
Incoming Lewis & Clark 1L

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »
Suit yourself, I guess.  When I broached the question with various financial aid officers about getting additional scholarships after the first year, I always got the same answer:  "Sometimes, for someone really special."  I got the distinct impression the lion's share of the money went to people before they matriculated; after you've entered, good luck.
I do have to ask, though:  if you cannot get a grant or scholarship after the first year, are you comfortable with leaving school with three years' of debt, not just one?  It kind of sounds like you're already in dire straits financially, and all that debt waiting for you when you get out won't help if you have trouble finding a job.