Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re-take?  (Read 955 times)

Sean104

• View Profile
Re-take?
« on: May 12, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »
Am I even allowed to take the LSAT as a law student?  If I am eligible, my concern is that LSAT prep will interfere with my first-year studies.  Is this a realistic fear?  Is the risk of re-taking the LSAT in school worth it, if it leads to a concrete job prospect later on? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Re-take?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
And why on earth would a higher lsat score lead to a better job?  Just curious what put this inane idea in your head.

Focus your energy on law school.  A good gpa/rank will lead to job and transfer opportunities, not your lsat score.  Oh, and don't put your lsat on your resume after you start school.  No one cares unless you got a 180, and since you're asking about retaking, I don't think that applies here.

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »
I will elaborate.  I applied for a JAG position and was subsequently denied because of my LSAT (this branch requires a min score).  I've been given the option of re-taking the LSAT and should I raise my score, I'll be automatically selected for the program, since I qualify in all other areas.  It seems like a no-brainer, although I REALLY do not want to take it again.  But in light of these circumstances, I am inclined to suck it up and re-take.  I'm grateful to possibly have this gig lined up after graduation and the only thing holding me back is this...

Thanks for the input.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
Re-take, study over summer.  If you take it and fail, you're in the same position as you are if you don't retake.  So shoot for the October LSAT, and study over the summer.

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 06:32:30 PM »
Good point.  The point difference I need to make up is only 3 points, which isn't much.  Looks like I have to hit the books again and prep for September.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:53:04 PM »
3 points?  That's within your existing margin.  You'll nail it for sure.  Study hard, and good luck!