Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra vs. New York Law vs. Franklin Pierce  (Read 1180 times)

indecisive1724

• View Profile
Hofstra vs. New York Law vs. Franklin Pierce
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:22 AM »
No scholarships for any of them.  Full-time acceptance for all as well.  I do have an interest in IP, but not entirely sure I want to risk not being able to change my mind if I attend FP.  Also will probably want to work in NYC after school (and maybe San Francisco later in life).  Reasons I am thinking about attending each one:

FP: Top school in the nation in IP
NYLS: Good connections to the city court system and jobs, brand new facilities in 2009, I also already live in manhattan
Hofstra: Ranks tier 1 as opposed to the previous tier 3 schools

I would really appreciate any advice - thanks so much!

indecisive1724

• View Profile
Re: Hofstra vs. New York Law vs. Franklin Pierce
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
Also waitlisted to Univ of Buffalo - any advice on that school also would be wonderful!

Viking Quest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
Franklin Pierce is the top school in the country in IP?  Better than Stanford or Berkeley?  I find that hard to believe.

indecisive1724

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:26:14 PM »
It is A top IP school.  Number 5/6.  I didn't exactly get into Berkeley or Stanford, or even apply haha.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/intellectual-property-law

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
Hofstra: Ranks tier 1 as opposed to the previous tier 3 schools

Ranks tier 1? Ranked at 100, Hofstra barely ranks tier 2, and has been bouncing between tier 2 and tier 3 for the past several years. Don't confuse USN&WR's Top 100 with Tier 1...
Now if you want to give the reasoning that Hofstra ranks higher than the other T3 schools, that's more accurate.

Is it that you want to work in NYC or just the NY area? Hofstra is often considered 'the Long Island law school' and has better support in Long Island than it does in NYC. Can't comment on the other 2 schools, but I have a friend @ Hofstra in the top 10% of his class... he's having troubles getting interviews for NYC firms. If you're looking at working in the NY area, Hofstra may do fine, but if you're looking to work in NYC, better plan on being in the top 10%+ to have a decent shot.

If you're really set on working in NYC, have you considered delaying and retaking the LSAT? Is a higher score a possibility for you? If so, that could easily be parlayed into admission into a higher ranked school (one with better NYC placement) or at least some scholarship money.
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

indecisive1724

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »
Apologies for any inaccuracies.  I'm simply restating the US News rankings that literally says tier 1, along with the rest of the top 100 - which I never understood.  That's very helpful about your friend from Hofstra.  I do plan on working in New York City so perhaps New York Law, harsh curve and all, is the way to go.  A higher LSAT score would definitely be possible but I was planning on retaking it in October when I've had the summer to prepare (for the possibility of transferring to a true tier 1 - don't worry my plans are not hindering on this possibility).  However it is not my LSAT score, but an undergrad year of academic disaster from health problems, that decreases my chances at better law schools.

Also I have a biotech background, which is why I keep considering FP and IP law.

How do you like St. John's?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
Once you are in law school, a higher LSAT does not really help to transfer since you will have grades from your 1L year and the LSAT is really just suppose to correlate your score to your grades. Also, schools aren't as concerned about LSAT and UG-GPA because transfers do not affect ranking. Just something to consider

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
Am I misreading your comment or did you indicate that you're retaking the LSAT in October to improve your chances at transferring? If that's accurate, understand that once you're in law school and have actual law school grades, the LSAT is practically meaningless for transfer purposes (aside from a small handful of the very top schools - I think Yale has a requirement that your LSAT be good enough for initial admission). The LSAT is a predictor of law school succes, whereas actual law school grades are proof of the ability to handle the material. If you think you can do better on the LSAT and get into a better school, don't start at a different law school - or alternatelly, if you're going to start law school, don't waste any time or thought on retaking the LSAT.
As for the grades, are the one year's worth of bad grades an abberation from the rest of your academic transcript? If so, then you may be able to explain that away... especially if you have an attractive LSAT score.

In regards to SJU, it was the right choice for me for several reasons, both logistic and academic. As my sig indicates, I'm a PT student - and as a non-trad that works FT, I had limited choices of which school to attend. Of the factors I considered when examining the various PT programs, I felt SJU's faculty, facilities and extracurricular opportunities (journals, mock trial, clinics, externships, etc...) all weighed in favor of SJU being the right choice for me over Hofstra or Brooklyn. Granted, Brooklyn and Fordham were handicapped by the commute required, but even then I felt more comfortable with SJU's facilities on a regular campus rather than BLS or Fordham's stand-alone presence.
Aside from one class this semster, generally I've enjoyed the classes and the majority of the professors I've had have been top notch - even the few that weren't still weren't 'bad', just not as 'good' as some of the exceptional ones I've had. The facilities are generally well-kept... I'm actually studying in the moot court room right now, the pride & joy of the law school.  
http://149.68.13.192:90/multimedia/LawVT/default_interior1.htm

Well, back to Family Law and NY's Domestic Relations Law... :-(
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY