Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Korean Adoptee in the American South  (Read 2070 times)

ashok

• View Profile
    • Email
Korean Adoptee in the American South
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:07:57 AM »
I've been reading around and it seems that Asian Americans are not considered URM's at top ranked schools.  That being said, I do think that I have reason to include a diversity statement, but I was wondering if it would be OK or even appropriate to mention that I am a Korean adoptee.  Not only that, but I was adopted into a low income household in Arkansas.

Now, Arkansas probably isn't as bad as some places, but there have definitely been some hard times down here.  Honestly, I was the only Asian guy in my entire city, and even though I grew up here people still stare at me every time I walk into a store or a restaurant.  It's more than a little grating.

In any case, I was wondering if this could factor into my admission at all.

Any opinions?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Korean Adoptee in the American South
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »
I want to know more about the free breast implants.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »
Doubtful, and I would only include a diversity statement if the application explicitly states that you may do so.  Check the school's stats and see if Asians make up <10% of the student body.  I don't think Asians would be considered URMs at schools like Tulane or UVA.
Fed gov't atty

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »
I've been reading around and it seems that Asian Americans are not considered URM's at top ranked schools.  That being said, I do think that I have reason to include a diversity statement, but I was wondering if it would be OK or even appropriate to mention that I am a Korean adoptee.  Not only that, but I was adopted into a low income household in Arkansas.

Now, Arkansas probably isn't as bad as some places, but there have definitely been some hard times down here.  Honestly, I was the only Asian guy in my entire city, and even though I grew up here people still stare at me every time I walk into a store or a restaurant.  It's more than a little grating.

In any case, I was wondering if this could factor into my admission at all.

Any opinions?

Not just top ranked school, but at any school?  Are you considering going to law school in Arkansas or neighboring states like Texas, Missouri, etc.?

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »
This makes for a FANTASTIC DS. I realize most people here have no concept of the Korean adoption to white parents thing, but I met a few people with somewhat similar backgrounds while I was in Korea and their experiences were really not the same as either typical european or asian americans.

I think you should definitely write the DS, you have a LOT more to say here than most.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
This makes for a FANTASTIC DS. I realize most people here have no concept of the Korean adoption to white parents thing, but I met a few people with somewhat similar backgrounds while I was in Korea and their experiences were really not the same as either typical european or asian americans.

I think you should definitely write the DS, you have a LOT more to say here than most.

The schools really don't care that much. They care about having URM to look good when it comes to numbers, just like LSAT and SAT.   The OP is still East Asian and East Asians are not URM. 

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
No, OP is not URM, that's not what I was saying. Adcomms use PS/DS to differentiate between candidates with the same/similar numbers, just like all other softs. If you write a great DS they would much rather accept you than someone who didn't.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.